2 days post op gas question

LS2dv8
on 10/30/15 3:54 am

So every thing went well with my surgery. And I am learning how much liquid I can have! Lol

Anyway still in hospital and I wondering when our if I should take gasx. Gas pains are stronger than other pain at this point.

Your advice is appreciated

Lisa

LS2DV8

Chanti_
on 10/30/15 4:40 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Your nurses probably have standing orders for some antacids that can be given IV. If not ask. These usually work quite well. But the number one cure for gas pain is ambulation. You need to be up and waling 10 - 15 mins every hour, as much walking as you can do without getting too fatigued. This will start clearing the gas they pumped into your abdomen during surgery. Good luck. It will get easier.

Valerie G.
on 10/30/15 6:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Walk and wiggle.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SweetT1
on 10/30/15 7:43 am

I too had my surgery yesterday and the gas pain is much worse than the surgery pain. It comes and goes. I have taken gas x but not much relief. So the Antacid will work? I have my prescription filled but I thought that was for heartburn and not for gas. Anyone??

SweetT1
on 10/30/15 7:48 am

Also, If the Antacid (Omeprazole) works for gas pain, it says take 1 hr before meals. I am on clear liquids til today and then full liquids for 2 weeks after that. When do I know what constitutes a meal?...LOL

ej1971
on 10/30/15 8:27 am

I think gas pain is a luck of the draw thing. I had the lap band in 2007 and Gall Bladder removal in 2011. I had horrible gas pains during both of those. I had VSG on Monday and have barely had any gas pain. I did make sure to walk a lot because I was so scared of the pain. GasX is of minimal help, IMHO. Time and walking are all that help.

EJ

White Dove
on 10/30/15 8:46 am - Warren, OH

My bariatric nurse had us get rid of gas by putting our head lower than our hips. The gas comes out immediately. If a patient could not get out of bed she would have them lie in bed and hang their head and lower body over the side of the bed for a minute of two. It works perfectly. To this day if I get gas in public, I will bend over and tie my shoe or adjust my sock. The gas will be gone.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KansasPrincess
on 10/30/15 9:04 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i

used

gasx

strips

for

days

after

surgery