Just an idea for those "stalls"...

Wyldblu
on 10/28/15 2:03 pm, edited 10/28/15 2:05 pm

As a previous lap band veteran, I had my fair share of stalls. Eagerly weighing myself every morning, and then, just once a week was either elating, or devastating, depending on which way the numbers rolled, or didn't Finally, I came up with an idea...not easy to make yourself do, but if you find yourself a slave to the scale and its results, this might work for you. I put my scale in the trunk of my car. The ONLY time I would weigh myself was if my clothes or belt made the first move. In other words, if the clothes I put on fit me looser, or...gasp...tighter (very rarely), I would get out the scale and weigh myself, usually the next morning...to keep track of progress or gain. If the clothes or belt fit me exactly the same...the scale remained in the trunk of my car.

As people who have struggled with weight issues for so long, we tend to take immense joy, and get a self esteem boast each time the scale drops a fraction of a pound. We KNOW the battle and what we have done to become healthier. We want results...and we want them NOW.

However, the numbers on the scale don't necessarily accurately portray what we are losing in terms of weight. It doesn't take into account the inches that may be coming off, even if your scale isn't moving, or has moved up a half pound.

Do we need to keep track of our weight progress? Of course. We need that reminder that our goal is due to a new lifestyle of compliance, trial and error. But, many of us become a slave to the scale, letting it dictate our success or failure and the emotions and low self esteem that can bring.

If this is you, you might benefit from my idea. Ultimately, I left my scale in the trunk of the car as my clothes became looser and looser, remembering maybe once a month to take it out. As I neared my goal, the numbers on that scale meant FAR less to me than the fact that I could almost run upstairs without being out of breath, that my reflux and GERD was gone, and I just felt healthier and more confident than I had felt in YEARS.

Wyldblu

suzyq584
on 10/28/15 2:11 pm

Thanks for the great idea!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

joanne0658
on 10/28/15 4:22 pm

That is a wonderful suggestion and I plan on doing that this evening, once I get home. Yay you!!!!

Jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics