November 16th

dudearino
on 10/26/15 3:44 pm

Must be meant to be, there was only 1 week I could have the surgery (this year) and still be able to travel for Christmas (Dr. said no travel for 5 weeks). I am travelling for work two weeks before the surgery so I am a little anxious about being on travel and the pre-op diet, also I am lactose intolerant so I need to find a a protein drink that will work for me.

I was very lucky with insurance didn't have any issues, took 5 business days and all they submitted was the psych eval and what we talked about in my orientation appointment. My company has a program called "centers of excellence" for surgery and I just happened to have one in my area so I don't have to travel, and the insurance waives the co-insurance for the surgery.

I have read a lot on this forum and appreciated everyone's advice and status updates. This isn't something I would normally do (posting on forums) but I figure what I was doing wasn't working so maybe this is a good first step to making this decision work.

My wife is supporting me because she knows it is the right thing to do, but is very anxious about the surgery.

I am 6 foot 1 inch and currently weigh 315 I have been up to 337. I haven't talked to the Dr. about my goal any thoughts on what it should be? 190 puts me in the normal range for BMI, seems strange to even think about being that weight.

Take Care

The Dude Abides

Chanti_
on 10/26/15 11:57 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Congrats on getting your date for surgery. It's a life changer.

Whey protein ISOLATE has lactose essentially removed and the majority of people who have a lactose allergy can take isolate without any problems. Just mix with almond or soy milk or even water and you're good to go.

Whey protein CONCENTRATE has lactose in it so look closely @ the label on your protein powder and make sure it's pure 100% isolate and not some kind of blend of the two. You can also get veggie based protein powders but I can't rec any because I haven't tried them. Check at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC they can advise you.

Get your water in post op, it's important. I had to set an alarm on my phone to go off every 3 mins to remind me to sip during the first few days.

Let us know how you're doing, good luck!

dudearino
on 10/27/15 7:48 am

Thanks Chanti, I never knew the difference between the whey isolate and concentrate that will help a lot as I research the protein drinks.

Most Active
Recent Topics