Day 5 post op

Robin B.
on 10/24/15 6:45 pm

I am doing fine except I am not getting in the protein. Getting in 15-20 gm per day. Is this normal?

Beara945
on 10/24/15 7:13 pm

I am sipping on isopure protein fruit clear drinks from GNC and I have gotten 60 mg in. I had surgery on Wed.

Donna L.
on 10/24/15 7:16 pm, edited 10/24/15 12:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I pretty much just drank 1-3 premier protein shakes a day the week after surgery. One shake is 30g protein for 11 ounces of liquid. You could also drink some fairlife milk which has pretty decent protein (13g/cup). The first few weeks it's more important to get liquids, as dehydration will put you in the hospital. If you're worried you aren't getting enough protein, call your surgeon.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

c_ruiz1982
on 10/24/15 7:51 pm

I'm not much help, I had surgery on Thursday and have only been able to tolerate but 1/2 bottle of water total. I'm going to try my shake tomorrow and pray for the best.

Lissa_ND
on 10/25/15 12:28 am
VSG on 09/02/15

My first week I made my liquids my priority... my protein wasn't where it should of been either. I could not tolerate (and still can't) protein shakes they are too thick or foamy. It gets easier everyday! After I figured things out, my go to was unflavored protein powder in some chicken broth. Trick is to keep it warm not hot or the powder will clump. Also I finally tried the premier protein shakes around my fourth week out... they are awesome! Good luck to you!

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

SweetT1
on 10/25/15 5:58 am

Have you tried Isopure Drinks (at GNC or Vitamin Shoppes)? It has 40 grams of protein in the 20 oz bottle. I love the Green Tea one and the Raspberry one was good as well. My MD said that sometimes the cold beverages make your stomach spasm so you may want to try it a room temperature. Also, the Unjury Chicken soup is VERY good (Unjury.com). It has 21 grams of protein in 8 oz of water. Just be sure to warm water RIGHT AT 140 degrees before you add the powder or it will clump.

sds0029
on 10/25/15 11:24 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Don't worry the first couple of weeks. You will have plenty of time to adjust. It took a day to finish a premier protein drink. Focus on fluids, vitamins, daily constitutional and walking. Best of luck

Most Active
Recent Topics