Coughing....

Wyldblu
on 10/31/15 6:31 pm

So, first day home from the hospital...and I have be coughing. It comes in spurts...but I have been coughing stuff up too. Please tell me this isn't a run to the emergency room kind of thing. My stomach is pretty sore, I have been sipping liquids all day, but haven't got much in....and walking...well...I have been taking short walks and then tire very quickly. Thoughts?

Wyldblu

stacy T.
on 10/31/15 9:07 pm, edited 11/1/15 8:46 am - San Francisco, CA

So, first day home from the hospital...and I have been coughing. It comes in spurts...but I have been coughing stuff up too. Please tell me this isn't a run to the emergency room kind of thing. My stomach is pretty sore, I have been sipping liquids all day, but haven't got much in....and walking...well...I have been taking short walks and then tire very quickly. Thoughts?

Wyldblu

mickeymantle
on 10/31/15 11:03 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

call you surgeon pneumonia is common after surgery and if your coughing alot you may have it and it may need antibiotics to cure

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Chanti_
on 11/1/15 3:44 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Not unusual to cough following general anesthesia, you had a tube down your throat which can irritate things in there and make you cough. Also very normal to be extremely fatigued and have no endurance, your calorie intake is so small @ this point that any amount of exertion will leave you feeling weak.

So what's coming up when you cough? Green nasties? Or blood? (Old blood looks brownish new looks bright red), old blood could be from the surgery but new stuff is not normal and you need to have it looked at. Also anything that looks like coffee grounds is concerning and should be addressed.

Green or yellow sputum is usually a sign of some kind of respiratory infection. Could just be a nasty cold (I had a cough for 3 WEEKS following my surgery, it sucked). The difference between a cold and the flu or pneumonia is the presence of a fever. Do you have a fever? (remember if you are taking anything with acetaminophen in it your fever could be masked) If so I would see a doc. Also if you are short of breath in any way, see a doctor.

For me, my cough after surgery was the most annoying thing about the whole post op experience. Coughing hurt. I had a cold but it just went on and on. I felt like a pack a day smoker, and I've never lit up in my life.

Hope your feeling better, but if that cough doesn't resolve in the next few days, get yourself checked out.

cappy11448
on 11/1/15 5:09 am

I was given a plastic device to blow into periodically while in the hospital to help keep my lungs clear. I'd suggest checking in with the doctor because breathing problems are a concern after anesthesia. Its worth checking.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Wyldblu
on 11/1/15 7:15 am

The first time, I coughed up a dark gray, ball of grossness. After that, it's been just clear/whitish. Not very frequently...just every so often. Mostly, it hurts to cough. I have been using my hand to support my stomach when coughing...but should I be concerned about tearing something on the inside? A stitch or staple or something?

No fever..just this annoying cough.

Wyldblu

mickeymantle
on 11/1/15 9:18 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

hold a pillow against your belly that works best they should have told you that in the hospital call the surgeon to be shore everything is good they have someone on call 24/7

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

KathyA999
on 11/1/15 2:12 pm

Are you on an acid med? VSG often results in GERD, and coughing can be a symptom.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Wyldblu
on 11/1/15 3:03 pm

No, not on acid meds and this isn't that. I know because I lived with reflux and GERD for TOO many years. I do think it's getting better though....

Wyldblu

Tracy D.
on 11/2/15 12:19 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Not unusual to cough - but if you start feeling chest pain or run a fever then call doc ASAP to rule out pneumonia.

I always cough a lot after surgery too - the air tube always irritates my throat a bunch.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics