To the single people who have had the sleeve...

animallover1247
on 10/31/15 8:28 am

So I was just curious...other than the physical changes to the body and improved health, can you give me specifics on how your life has changed since losing weight? You always see people say "the surgery changed my life" so I want to know specifically HOW it has changed. Obviously I know my life will change, but it is really going to change THAT much (other than physically)?

psychoticparrot
on 10/31/15 12:35 pm

I'm not single, so I'm guessing that the drift of your post is "will my love life change?" after surgery. If so, it might help to clarify that point so that single sleevers can answer your questions.

Just sayin' is all.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

animallover1247
on 10/31/15 2:23 pm

Your are right....I should have made my post more specific. I guess I was just wondering to what extend people treat you different, for example, but one does not have to be single for that to happen either. Also, wanted to know things like if the single people put themselves out there more, are socializing with others more, that kind of thing.

Nikke2003
on 10/31/15 1:08 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I'm not single either, but my two cents:

• I got a new job that pays more and pays for me to travel. Couldn't have done this job without having lost weight, as I used to need two seats on an airplane and my stamina wouldn't have been enough to sustain the crazy schedule.
  • I have more confidence - which has helped me at work and personally.
  • Shopping is easier, more enjoyable.
  • I do more things with my friends, I'm more social and that has made me happier.
  • Physically, I feel like I can do anything and I'm in less pain.

Now, surgery has also changed my life in other ways. My marriage has struggled a bit because underlying issues I thought were caused by my weight, turn out to not be because of my weight. Surprise! We're working through that - hopefully we come out happier on the other side.

I also find myself less likely to put up with people's BS. I'm not sure if this is from surgery or from therapy... but it has led to a happier life (mentally/emotionally) for me.

I also receive more attention from the opposite sex. It didn't happen right away and is kind of a more recent thing and it can be a bit uncomfortable. It's not something I have ever experienced before and something I thought I would like... but I don't particularly enjoy it.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

animallover1247
on 10/31/15 2:32 pm

Thank you very much for your post. You answered one of my questions that doesn't even have to be specific to single people and that is how you feel about receiving more attention from the opposite sex. I'm not sure how I am going to handle this, I think it may make me uncomfortable as well but I have a therapist who will hopefully help me with this if that is what happens.

Nikke2003
on 11/1/15 8:18 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

If I'm being completely honest with myself... I was actually looking forward to it (even though I am married) because it's just not something I have ever experienced before. All of my friends would complain about it all the time and I couldn't relate and I just wanted to be like everyone else. Now, I complain about it a bit too because it is, in fact, uncomfortable. And.... a man doesn't even need to be saying anything rude or crude... could just be paying me a compliment and it is still uncomfortable. Talking about it in therapy is definitely not a bad idea!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Kiwideb
on 11/1/15 7:52 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I've not lost as much yet as many have, but I've found myself surprised at some of the extra looks or notice I've gotten now and then.

A combo of surprise and pride perhaps, generated from greater self confidence.

Nikke2003
on 11/1/15 8:19 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Very true! I still always feel like people are looking at me because of a negative thing (like when I was heavy) - but I know that it's all in my head!

JoeyJo
on 11/1/15 4:05 pm, edited 11/1/15 8:06 am - NJ

At a college football game yesterday, the man behind me in the concession line asked what I was ordering. I thought he was just killing time and trying to decide what to get but he offered to pay for my order. I thanked him but said I had it, just as his daughter approached while loudly asking what he was doing. Weird and funny but a little embarrassing.

psychoticparrot
on 11/1/15 6:03 pm

I just remembered this post from back in September. Here's how one sleever's life changed:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/5368391/Hey-babe-Babe- BABE/

If the link doesn't work, cut and paste it.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics