3weeks post-op on soft foods,but not motivated to exercise

OnTway2Healthy
on 10/27/15 8:41 am

Im doing well on liquids & proteins. I have some abdominal pains lately that I'm unsure of. Seeing Dr tomorrow. I just can't seem to get motivated to walk or exercise :-( I walk my dogs but nothing that gets the heart going. Any suggestions?

Sunshine411
on 10/27/15 8:45 am

I think that's normal at three weeks. Walking the dogs Is fine I think at least your walking. I'm just starting my 8th week n I walk the gpdog also 15-20 minutes. I just now feel like I have no tenderness what so ever n can tell this past week energy level is coming back...don't know if it's the vitamin patch or just body finally healing...but I feel good.

Ready2goNOW
on 10/27/15 8:54 am

Hi!

I am 2 weeks out tomorrow. I haven't had a lot of energy, either. I walk the dog maybe twice a day for 5-10 minutes. I take an hour nap each day, but feel like I could sleep more.

I think maybe our expectations are high this early out. I think the first 6-8 weeks we still have a lot of healing and residue from the surgery.

If I am feeling this low energy at 2 months then I have promised myself I will push myself a little harder and/or talk to the surgeon.

Good luck!

Kathy

Tracy D.
on 10/27/15 9:20 am, edited 10/27/15 4:07 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Exercise should be the least of your worries right now. Seriously, focus on drinking, eating right and getting healed up. After surgery you don't necessarily want the heart rate to get real high as it increases blood pressure and that compromises healing.

Exercise post-op is NOT how you're going to lose weight. Compliance with your food plan is how you'll lose the weight - period. Exercise is great for your heart and lung health but unhook the idea of exercise from weight loss -- not gonna happen. In fact, working out can actually cause weight gain due to inflammation and water retention (but don't let that put you off of ever doing it).

Don't get me wrong - eventually you need to find an exercise routine that you enjoy and you'll do consistently. Because having that routine in place once you hit goal weight absolutely contributes to maintaining your weight over the long haul. You just don't need to be all stressed about moving your body right this second. You've got a lot more other important things to focus on.

ETA: I don't remember doing any real exercise until at least 8 weeks post-op. That's when I got released for full activity by my surgeon. And it was several more weeks before I got even a little bit serious about it.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

SATXVSG
on 10/27/15 10:37 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I agree. Get recovered and used to your new eating plan. It took me about 10 weeks before I got moving. Start slow and build up. Exercise is about getting healthy and does not contribute that much to weight loss.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/27/15 11:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Don't worry about exercising at this point. Your body is still healing.

Walking your dogs is great for the time being. Exercise is good for your health, but it's not going to affect your weight loss significantly.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NerdySquirrel
on 10/27/15 12:23 pm

I agree. I'm 7 weeks out tomorrow and only started exercising at week 5. My doctor did have me walking a mile, just by taking steps around the house. I would get up and walk a loop around our downstairs every 45-60 minutes. This was primarily to help prevent blood clots, but I was pretty proud reaching that goal every day.

Energy wise I have good days and not-so-good days, but everyday gets better. :)

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

paflyersgal
on 10/27/15 7:31 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello!! I am going on 3 weeks Post-Op as well. The most I do is take my dog for a walk. I don't even do that every day. I have been released back to work, but with restrictions. I was not given the ok to go back to the gym yet. I imagine that it takes a good while for your body to heal from this surgery and the last thing you want to do is tear something on the inside. I still have pains where my incisions were.. they are random pains though. Sometimes it just feels like a pinch, but a pain is a pain.. and I think if I did vigorous activity I would be hurting a lot. So take it easy.. walking the dog slowly is okay to do.. but I don't plan on going full GI Jane until my doctors approves it. Good Luck!!

Karen

Grim_Traveller
on 10/28/15 5:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't think of it as exercise. Think of it as activity. Try to have as much activity every day as you can. A Fitbit or other pedometer is great for that. Then you can tell for certain exactly how active you are every day, and you can gradually increase it.

Try to find activity that you will be motivated to do for life. Even if you exercised like mad for six months, if you stop, it will have no impact on your long term health. Lifelong adjustments will be much more beneficial.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bugrussell
on 10/28/15 7:34 am

If i had waited till i was motivated to walk or do anything I'd still be waiting to even have the surgery. Sometimes just doing it is the motivation you need. I've been walking since day one, started out with just walking around the house, then around the block, and now 2 months out I'm walking up to 6 miles a day. I work full-time, and have a part-time job as well, so my time is very limited, and valuable. I want to do everything I can in the first 6 months to create a new lifestyle and make the most of my sleeve.

It was hard at first to get my walks in, but gradually I've built up to multiple walks per day and get really grouchy if something comes between me and my walk.

Good luck to you and don't wait to find the motivation!

Most Active
Recent Topics