Questions for VSG!

Needanewbeginning
on 10/27/15 6:50 am, edited 10/26/15 11:51 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Just saying, food doesn't get stuck when you have had the RNY, it feels like it and it's simply because one hasn't chewed enough, mindful eating has obviously not been done.

If your bil has different food tolerances than you do it's something that you can't blame only on the type of surgery, many wls patients have different intolerances, it's not blamed on sleeves or RNY.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

happyteacher
on 10/27/15 3:04 pm

Agreed- perhaps "stuck" wasn't the best food choice. However, there are documented differences between the surgeries regarding sugar and high fat food. I might be wrong, but I don't think the typical patient with Rny would eat a full piece of cheesecake, for example, as it would make them ill (not due to restriction/overating- ill due to dumping, etc.)

I do agree though that food tolerances change due to surgury so not all are attributed to soley the difference between Vsg and Rny. And for the record, I think both are really great choices. It is not my intention to slam the Rny in any manner at all. It was the one my surgeon recommended for me due to my sugar addiction.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/15 8:36 pm

My friend had the RNY and he can't have chicken it makes him really sick and I would hate not to eat chicken again. I do know it is different for everyone.

I will find out more on what my Dr suggests next week.

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 6:42 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I also had silent GERD diagnosed by an endoscopy that I had for a completely different reason. Never had heartburn or felt acid; just some occasional nausea spells that wound up being related. I planned on VSG for 3 years, and GERD is the reason my doc talked me into RNY instead. He said he'd still do the VSG if I had my heart set on it, but that there would be a good chance I'd need to revise to RNY later. Since my insurance only covers one procedure lifetime, my mind was made up.

I couldn't be happier with my decision now. I was so scared of RNY that I lost 80 lbs pre-op just so I could make the procedure safer. A friend and my husband both had VSG and are doing great, but they both have GERD now without having had it before, so I'm really glad I didn't do anything to make mine worse. RNY is often curative for GERD. My husband's and my surgeries were 2 weeks apart, and despite the different procedures, our recoveries have been nearly identical.

Valerie G.
on 10/27/15 5:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If he repairs the hernia when he performs the sleeve, you shuld be home free.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics