Questions for VSG!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/31/15 7:39 pm - OH

No, it is NOT just her doctor. It is MOST doctors. If you are willing to risk making your GERD worse (and potentially much worse), that is your business. Just don't get all pissed off if you come back in 4 months complaining about how bad your reflux is and someone says "we tried to warn you, but you only wanted to hear what you WANTED to hear"...

I truly hope you beat the odds and VSG doesn't make your GERD worse, but the odds are against you.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

animallover1247
on 10/25/15 9:52 pm

I have a hiatial hernia and GERD. All of the above post are correct. I am fine with having to take meds the rest of my life for the GERD because like you I do not want bypass. I have horrible heartburn, even taking Nexium. I have my endoscopy in about 14 hours or so...hope I will learn more. I've had the hernia since 1999.

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/15 8:19 pm

Thank you for your advise. It is a hard decision. Like I said earlier I did not even know i had it. The only time I got heartburn is when I over eat or eat something I know I shouldn't.

There is a lot to talk to my dr. About.

SDenae
on 10/25/15 10:43 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I had GERD before my surgery. The doc just had me keep taking the meds (Protonix/Pantaprazole) I was taking for it, and I'm still on them. I think I have to stay on them for 3 months pre-op.

They found a small hernia when they did my surgery and repaired it. I don't think it added any extra recovery or anything. I think a lot of us have them, actually. I don't think either of those will hinder your ability to have the surgery.

Good luck!

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

NikkiL2015
on 10/25/15 11:04 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I have an extreme case of GERD along with an ulcer... I had VSG on 07/06/15. Yes, my symptoms have increased, however, my Dr just increased my PPI meds and I function just fine. I am at 4 months post-op and have already had a loss of 80 pounds. I don't think this will have any delay on your surgery and you should do fine! Good luck with your journey!

Wanda1118
on 10/26/15 1:54 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I also have the hernia and gerd...it didn't even come into play when it was time for surgery...I think most of us have the same things, so I wouldn't fret over your surgeon not doing the surgery...call your surgeon's office if you are in any doubt

spuddzy
on 10/26/15 6:09 am - NY

I agree I had lap band 2010 and had hernia repaired,,I had revision to VSG and removed band and take meds for gerd surgery 2014. dont worry all will go well.

spuddzy

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/26/15 9:37 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had a very mild case of gerd & it was most likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was repaired at surgery. I was on a ppi for like a month b4 surgery & for about 2 months afterward. I haven't needed any more medication. I didn't have the classic heartburn symptoms that most people with gerd have, but in time it probably would've gotten worse, the endo Dr was already able to see damage to my esophagus. I was still able to have the surgery.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Spencerella
on 10/26/15 1:31 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

As has been mentioned, your GERD may lessen or disappear with Hiatial Hernia repair, so I can't see a surgeon refusing to do VSG for that reason. And if you do get VSG and continue to have GERD, you may still be able to treat it with meds. Assuming you are being treated now, are the meds working well? If so, they will likely work well after surgery too, but at a higher dosage.

I had moderate GERD before surgery (no hernia) and I can attest to it getting worse after. But the meds were very effective and over time I've been able to wean back to a small dose every other day or so. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to be medication free, but I now take considerably less than I did prior to surgery. I partly attribute that to not overeating.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/15 8:25 pm

Hello Linda.

Since they found that I have GERD they have not yet get me on any medication. So maybe to them it's not so bad not sure. I go in to see dr. On my results next week. I will keep you posted on what she says.

Thanks for the support.

Most Active
Recent Topics