Questions for VSG!

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/15 5:29 pm

I had the endoscopy done and they said i have GERD and a 3.3CM Hiatal Hernia. I am not sure why my Dr. has not informed me of what this is or if I will still be qualified for the surgery.

Has any of you VSG's still have the surgery with this two things? Thanks.

Jennifer J.
on 10/25/15 5:35 pm - Manassas, VA
with

I was told I had a hiatal hernia after my endoscopy. The doctor said the hernia will be repair at the same time I had my VSG.

In pre-op the day of surgery, my surgeon said he would look at the hernia and see if it was big enough to where it would need to be repaired. I ended up not having to have it repaired.

It shouldnt disqualify or delay your surgery though.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/15 6:31 pm

Thank you Jennifer. Do you know anything about having GERD? I was very shocked for I have never been treated for that? I hope this does not stop my surgery for many say the heartburn is worse after surgery.

Jennifer J.
on 10/25/15 6:39 pm - Manassas, VA
with

Sorry, idk anything about gerd :/

hollykim
on 10/25/15 6:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 26, 2015 at 12:29 AM Pacific Time, Healingheart wrote:

I had the endoscopy done and they said i have GERD and a 3.3CM Hiatal Hernia. I am not sure why my Dr. has not informed me of what this is or if I will still be qualified for the surgery.

Has any of you VSG's still have the surgery with this two things? Thanks.

many ppl have " silentGERD" or silent reflux and have no symptoms.

VSG is know to often make GERD worse. Your surgeon may recommend you have the gastric bypass instead,which resolves GERD for most ppl.

Hiatal hernia can and is repaired with your Wls. There is no reason you can't have any weight loss surgery you choose with these two issues. If you still choose the VSG, you just need to know it may make the GERD word.but it can entreated with medication.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/15 7:16 pm

Thank you. I hope I my Dr. Still will do the VSG. I will not do the other one. To many things to worry about.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/26/15 12:33 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you have GERD, the VSG is not a good surgery for you. I didn't have any problems with heartburn, GERD, etc., prior to surgery, but now I do.

Most surgeons won't perform the VSG on patients with any form of GERD. Be cautious. The RNY isn't a terrible option for you. Just stay away from the lap band.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 1:19 pm

It must have been your Dr. With everyone else on here they still had the VSG and they have bad GERD I will not do the other surgeries. It will either be the VSG or none. Thanks for your opinion.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/26/15 3:58 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Well, it's not just my doctor. You can't assume that "everyone else on here" has heard differently based on the small number of responses you've received.

Your body, your choice. Just the facts, ma'am

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Chilipepper
on 10/26/15 8:19 pm, edited 10/26/15 1:21 pm

It appears that OP hasn't taken the time to seek out information on the different forms of surgery, including the sleeve. If she wants the VSG I say go for it. If she has silent GERD now, look out. She will be miserable postop. She never bothered to learn that the Bypass is known for curing GERD. I preferred not to live with excruciating heartburn. She may not have it now but she will postop. I also don't know what she means that the other surgeries are to much to deal with. Does she realize that the diets are the same and that VSG patients also need to supplement. If she is worried about supplementing, why on earth would anyone want a surgery that will cause constant pain and nausea and bleeding uncles along with running the chance of developing Barrets esophagus and still have to take meds to try and control it. Lifetime meds want in the cards for me. I wanted to be free of meds. Not start taking them for life.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
Recent Topics