Full Liquids - Nausea

Meri224
on 10/23/15 2:27 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 10/07/15

Hey fellow VSGers:

I am currently 15 days out from my surgery, halfway through my full-liquids phase, and I'm really struggling to get in any sorts of nutrients. All of the protein shakes (even if I make a smoothie out of them) make me sick. Smoothies make me sick. Milkshakes make me sick. Juice makes me sick. Chewable vitamins make me sick. And when I say "make me sick" I mean I get nauseous and usually end up dry heaving. I'm on Zofran, which helps a bit, but I still can't get those shakes down. I'm worried I'm going to start being malnourished.

Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get through?

Thanks friends,

Megan

White Dove
on 10/23/15 2:43 pm - Warren, OH

I put my shakes into one ounce cups and sipped slowly. If you can get down an ounce an hour by the end of the day you can finish a 12 ounce shake. If you cant do that then just sip an ounce of water every 15 minutes. It is important to stay hydrated. If you don't eat enough now your body will burn off stored fat. Forget the vitamins until they stop making you sick.

Things will improve every day and soon you should have no problem with the shakes or the vitamins.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Meri224
on 10/23/15 7:04 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 10/07/15

Thanks so much for the support! I'll try spreading it out more. It just seems that the taste of everything bothers me.

robinsnest915
on 10/23/15 3:53 pm

Are you having any pain or just the nausea? I was in the same boat and ended up having to have my gallbladder out.

Meri224
on 10/23/15 7:04 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 10/07/15

No pain (phew!). Just nausea and feeling generally unsettled all of the time.

-Flo-
on 10/23/15 6:30 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I had the same problem. What helped me out was the clear protein shakes; isopure. Everything else was just too thick. Hang in there, it gets better.

Meri224
on 10/23/15 7:06 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 10/07/15

I've heard a lot about Isopure, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the support! I know it's a bit of a waiting game, it's just been a really, really tough 5 days.

Sandra F.
on 10/26/15 6:42 am

I was extremely nauseous the entire first month out from surgery. I discovered later that it was probably from dehydration, as this can cause nausea. Don't know if this is your issue or not, but try and up your water in-take and see if that helps. It will get better, hang in there!

Meri224
on 10/26/15 10:30 am - Lexington, KY
VSG on 10/07/15

This is definitely my problem.... I actually went to the ER this weekend to get IVs and felt a lot better for a day and now feel kind of crappy again. I'm just really struggling with regretting my decision. It's been so hard to keep up with everything when I feel so bad and can't seem to get any protein in. Even worse, I've been at a weight loss stall for a week or so now. I'm just really frustrated and feeling very sorry for myself lol.

Sandra F.
on 10/27/15 5:55 am

Trust me when I tell you that it will get better. I was the exact same at your stage, minus the stall. But I know that a LOT of people on here talk about the three week stall, so it is very common. Believe me, if you get through this, it will get better and you will eventually love your sleeve. In the mean time, sip, sip, sip and sip some more. If water makes you nauseous, then try different temperatures of the water. I could always drink room temp water before my surgery and I can now, but right after surgery my water had to be iced cold or it would make me sick. Eggs and dairy made me sick right after too. Experiment with different things and see what works for you. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics