Losing weight SHOULD be a good thing

alouisa63
on 10/23/15 10:52 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Until you have to get new clothes. Losing 60#'s (damn ticker still broken!!!) has moved me from only shopping at specialty plus size woman's shops - or online - to main stream stores. Since surgery I have been freezing and decided a new sweater would be needed so I went to see about a sweater. I walked in the store and was holding things up saying "This will never fit". Then I became extremely overwhelmed and had to leave... and take a xanax. I never really cared for shopping before but I never expected it to go to this extreme.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Bugrussell
on 10/23/15 11:03 am

Have you tried to shop with a friend? and try stuff on, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!

alouisa63
on 10/23/15 11:05 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

A friend went with me one day and has begged to take me shopping again..... but I still hate it :P

Tracy D.
on 10/23/15 11:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It could be less overwhelming to start with some online shopping - or even going to thrift stores so you can at least get a sense of what size you are right now.

If you do shop online make sure you take your measurements and look at their sizing guides. There's a lot of variation and no one wants to spend time mailing stuff back that doesn't fit.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/23/15 12:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I hate shopping in stores. It's very stressful and overwhelming when you can fit into "normal" size clothes.

I have found that shopping at outlets like Ross are easier for me, especially since sizes have no standardization and I have to try on everything. Plus I'm cheap and don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes. I've bought clothes at Costco and then had to return them because I tend to overestimate my size.

Take it slowly. I totally understand how you feel.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

msfitzy
on 10/23/15 12:53 pm
with

The day of my surgery one of the doctors was talking to me. He asked if I liked shopping and I told him no. He said that come October, I would need to buy new clothes. And then I will need more clothes in January. So I better start liking it. He was trying to be encouraging. Thankfully, I still had pants that were too small for me, so I didn't have to buy anything. I recently went to find something to wear for my daughter's birthday and it was very hard for me. I'm still in plus sizes and there just isn't that much I find cute and youthful.

I have several pants and shorts that no longer work for me. If you are interested and they are either your size or close to your new size, I will gladly send them to you instead of just donating them to goodwill.

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

zann50
on 10/23/15 12:57 pm

Everything ^^^^^they all said. I will just throw in this, consignment shops are great. From high end fashion to casual items. Great bang for your buck as you go down in sizes. Yes, I would recommend trying things on. Most places are no return. One size down on something you really like...get it! If it is too large rejoice and move on?

alouisa63
on 10/23/15 1:02 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Thank you all for your responses. Shopping when I was wearing 4x- 5x was limited to selection so no problem picking up a new top - I knew it would fit... or I would wear it big. I just really never imagined it would HARDER to shop for 1x - 2x sizes. In NORMAL stores!

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/15 1:12 pm

So nice to know I am not the only woman that hates shopping and yes finds it even harder with the bigger choice in smaller sizes. I also tend to stick to thrift stores and discount stores where there is less choice.

Bugrussell
on 10/26/15 6:29 am

I've been shopping in my own closet the last few weeks. I never got rid of my too small clothes after I gained the weight. Now each day I am finding something new to wear. It's such a great feeling.

Do you attend a WLS support group? The one I attend does a clothing exchange every 3 months. If yours group doesn't offer one, maybe you could start one. If you don't go to a group, invite friends to do a clothing swap.

Good luck to you!!

cac

Most Active
Recent Topics