Please help! I'm 9 days since sugery and STARVING!

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/15 9:02 am, edited 10/23/15 5:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I really feel like I'm at my ropes end. I had my sleeve surgery 9 days ago, and for the last 6 days I've been absolutely ravenous. Not the 'head hunger', but the overwhelming, shaky hands, feeling weak type of hungry. I'd say it's by far the hungriest I've ever been.

I make sure I have my 60 grams of protein every day, and drink as much water as I can (although I would like to drink more.) My meals are a mixture of soup and protein shakes. The strange thing is that when I eat, I know I can't eat anymore, that I'm full, but it has no effect on my actual hunger. I can only eat very small amounts and no matter what I eat, it has no effect on my hunger. My stomach is rumbling constantly and I'll losing weight crazy fast.

I've seen people mention it might be acid. I take two PPIs daily, and occasionally suck on gaviscon tablets because I hear they help. They don't seem to make any difference. I had GERD before surgery, I'm not sure if that is a factor.

I'm buying a potato and some mince today and going to puree it as thin as I can. I just need ANYTHING that will make this hunger go away. Funnily enough, I'm barely craving any bad foods or anything like that, I just want the hunger to stop.

Any advice or kind words would be so much appreciated. I'm feeling so down and having intense buyers remorse. I've got such a fear I've cursed myself to a lifetime of hunger!

alouisa63
on 10/23/15 10:33 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

it may sound gross but cottage cheese in the blender with a little milk or water to thin it out is very satisfying (at least it was for me!) and really good for protein, better than potatoes... unless you're adding protein to them?

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Chanti_
on 10/23/15 11:03 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Are you diabetic? Even if not you should probably check your blood sugar, you sound hypoglycemic to me. I was weak and tired at 9 days but nothing like you're describing. Are you overdoing it with exercise?

Ready2goNOW
on 10/23/15 11:39 am

I am also 9 days out...

I had the shakes, lightheaded weak feelings, too, but once I began full liquids 2 days ago they began to subside.

I am older w/ a heart condition so I attributed some of the weakness to that and not eating real food for almost 4 weeks. I still can't stand for long, but I feel stronger.

I would definitely consult with your surgeon if this persists to see if it is a medical issue.

Good luck!

Kathy

Tracy D.
on 10/23/15 11:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As one poster suggested, check your blood sugar. You may be having low blood sugar episodes.

Just an FYI - the potato idea is not a great idea. It's pure carb and is only going to intensify any cravings or hunger that you have. The cottage cheese idea that someone posted (ricotta is a good one too) is a much, much better choice.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/15 5:54 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all the replies, it helps so much to hear your advice. First thing in the morning I'm going to buy some cottage cheese and see how that goes! Thankfully I know I'm not diabetic, so that can't be it, but I'm sure my blood sugar must be way down. I keep seeing people post about how their hunger is basically gone and I'm so jealous!

I took all your advice and stayed away from the potatoes. I instead had a thickish soup (watered down with milk) and zapped some chicken in there. I'm constantly caught between fear of a leak and needed to eat something more then protein shakes!

I'll give the cottage cheese a try and fingers crossed that will help :D

Thanks again guys!

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 7:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Original poster here! I thought I'd give a quick update in case someone with the same problem stumbles on this. I'm 3 weeks out now and things have improved a lot. I was given the all clear to add half a banana into my blended protein shake (with greek yogurt) and it's helped hugely. I can eat beans now and things like that, and while I never feel full, the hysterical hunger is gone. I'm just sort of peckish most of the time. I have high hopes that when I go on proper protein (chicken etc...) I'll feel completely better.

So for anyone going through what I was going through, just hang on in there, it gets better!

Most Active
Recent Topics