Pre-VSG Questions

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/21/15 8:57 pm

Monday is the day! Mixed emotions here! However, I have a few questions...

1) How many incisions did you get with your VSG surgery?

2) I was prescribed 5 meds. One of them is a shot I have to administer beginning the night before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after. It is a type of blood thinner that will ensure I do not have any blood clots. Is this normal?

3) How long were you off work after the surgery? How did you feel. I'm a PK teacher and am on my feet all day and active so my surgeon suggests two weeks.

4) Last, how many days did you have to be in the hospital after the VSG? My doctor is saying two days!!!

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/15 9:18 pm
VSG on 07/27/15

First off, Congratulations on your upcoming surgery :) Don't stress too much. You will be fine :)

I had 6 incisions, most of them teeny tiny, with just one that is about an inch long on my left side where they took my stomach out.

Some people also have to have a drain, but I did not.

I was not on any medications, and didn't have to give myself any shots beforehand, but they did give me a shot of the blood thinner a couple times while i was in the hospital.

I was in the hospital for 2 nights.

Was up and walking right away, but still had quite a bit of pain on my lower left side for a couple weeks after, but the more I walked, the better it felt.

I do not work, so I really can't tell ya how long you may need to take off, but I would follow your surgeon's recommendations. :)

Hope that helps! Congrats again :)

mickeymantle
on 10/21/15 10:25 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had 5 holes , how some surgeons use 1

I had to take blood thinners for a full month because of a clotting problem I have(lupus anticoagulant antigen) a few weeks is normal , the shots are better than a clot

at least 2 weeks off from work

and I was in the hospital 2 night which is normal for my surgeon , some send you home the same day , some keep you longer , it depends on how u are doing they will not let you go home till you are drinking 65 oz a day and peeing a surtain amount

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Neesie57
on 10/22/15 12:21 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I had 5 incisions, 3 were tiny, 2 larger. One between and below my breasts, the other 4 were in a straight line across my stomach, above my belly button.

I was on pain meds and Lovinox to prevent blood clots. The shots are easy to give yourself, the needles is itty bitty. I had to do them for 10 days.

I don't work, so don't know how long you need off of work, but I would have wanted about 2 weeks. The pain in one incision (where they took my stomach out) was must worse than the others.

I was only in the hospital for one night, and felt really ready to go home.

The best of luck to you!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

White Dove
on 10/22/15 6:39 am - Warren, OH

A clot is a complication that can result in death.

I had a desk job and was back in a week, but probably could have gone back after two days if I had to.

Two nights in the hospital is pretty standard.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Wanda1118
on 10/22/15 6:40 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I had 5 incisions..no stitches they used glue..I was only prescribed some pain med and stool softner. I was given 2 shots in the hospital of a blood thinner...first one was in surgery before I went to sleep..in my stomach...the other the next day before I went home. I had a lot of burning and my surgeon said that was normal for some people, and had a hard time getting into and up from bed. I am retired so I also can't answer that, but 2 weeks seem about right...It is a major surgery..I spent the night in the hospital and then went home..so I would say about 24 hours. Soon you will be on the losers bench and happy you did this once you are healed and on your way...Good luck on Monday...the surgery was an easy one, just follow your surgeons advice, and remember after your surgery to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk!

Tracy D.
on 10/22/15 11:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

1) I had a total of 4 tiny incisions.

2) I wasn't prescribed anything.

3) I was off total of 10 calendar days but I also had a desk job.

4) I spent 2 nights in the hospital

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/22/15 2:25 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
  1. Six. Normally it would have been five, but I had my ovaries removed at the same time as my VSG. Hence the extra hole.
  2. I didn't need to have an injection prior or after surgery, but you might have underlying health issues that warrant it.
  3. Four weeks. Could have gone back in two, but took as much time off as I possibly could get away with.
  4. Two nights in the hospital. I couldn't wait to get home.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Duetoprivacy
on 10/22/15 4:52 pm
  1. I had four incisions. The surgeon said my liver was quite small, so he didn't need the extra incision.
  2. I had the blood thinner shot twice in the hospital and that's it. As far as post hospital meds, there were lots. Four anti-nausea meds, one anti-cramping, dilaudid and then tramadol and then Tylenol for pain (I'm approaching three weeks out and am only taking Tylenol a couple of times a day at this point), Prilosec for acid in the morning and Pepcid before sleep, and I think that's it.
  3. I took 2.5 weeks off, went back on Wednesday and I am completely exhausted today. Grumpy exhausted. I have a desk job.
  4. I checked in at 9am on a Monday and was out by 11am the next day.

Good luck! I hope you have a great experience.

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/22/15 7:30 pm

Duetoprivacy, Has it been tough post-op? Are you happy with your decision or having regrets?

Most Active
Recent Topics