question I should know the answer to , but don't

twiddleDee
on 10/27/15 8:00 am

I was told with a vs surgery, you are allowed 25g sugar a day. (coming from dr's office) is this true? It was mentioned I should be eating yogurt, which some have a whopping 18g of sugar!! greek has less, but still around 8-9g or more of sugar. seems counter productive on the weight loss....

Sunshine411
on 10/27/15 8:42 am

I was told to not count calories or sugars or carbs at beginning just eat 60 proteins...goal n 64 oz Water which is to be accomplished over the first several weeks. Each dr is different but most seem to count carbs n proteins from what I see posted on here. I am fairly new but I keep calories between 500-700 n proteins 60-70 n I don't count carbs yet...but I'm only 8 weeks out so when I see dr again maybe he will have me start not sure. I eat Greek yogurt one to two times a day n one protein shake n lean meats n some cheese on days I feel like it. I would like to know calories,carbs,sugars, n proteins for people 8 weeks n out if they are tracking too. Curious.

OnTway2Healthy
on 10/27/15 8:44 am

Hi, I eat plain yogurt and I keep my sugar as low as possible! My Dr & nutritionist said protein 1st (0 sugar), and liquids next! try not to eat much sugar at all!

twiddleDee
on 10/27/15 11:50 am

Yep, protein first/liquids/veg/fruit. that is what was told to me also. I am watching everything I eat, the most sugar I had was 1/2c bean soup, with 4g, but would swear it had no sugar, just from the taste. But agree with you, try not eat much sugar at all. I don't even crave sweet things. which is good, sweets were my downfall. Good luck with each day 2 healthy!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 8:59 am, edited 10/27/15 2:00 am

I never counted grams of sugar, but did count total carbs. I stuck to

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 9:02 am

Sorry - my response above keeps getting cut off!

Tracy D.
on 10/27/15 9:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Was your doctor talking sugar...or carbs? Keeping your carbs to less than 25 grams per day is probably wise; most successful veterans on here report staying at 40 grams of carb per day or less during their weight-loss phase.

Any greek yogurt with fruit in it is probably going to be high. To keep carbs in line during weight-loss mode, I used plain unflavored greek yogurt and stirred in 1 T of sugar-free jam and sprinkled in a touch of Stevia. Kept the carbs real low and tasted delicious.

I never tracked "sugars" because keeping carbs to 40 or less per day automatically took care of the sugar. My surgeon didn't want me to count calories or carbs either at the beginning...but he's a cutter, not an experienced weight-loss vet. I won't say he's an idiot, but the eating plan that program provided was ill-advised (and he didn't have any input into that piece actually).

I followed the advice of the seasoned vets and winners on this forum. It was the best advice I ever got.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 11:02 am

This is the same message I tried to post earlier. See we are on the same cosmic plane today!

twiddleDee
on 10/27/15 11:44 am

it wasn't my Dr who said this, but someone who works in his office and already had vs surgery. I assumed they knew what they were talking about, but it didn't make sense to me to eat sugar after surgery. they mentioned Triple Zero greek yogurt being lower in sugar than the others, but I do not like yogurt of anykind, so not an option for me. guess I could plug my nose and eat it, just to get another form of protein in ??!! ha!

I agree with you, alot of helpful info on this forum. Beats continually calling and asking dr.

Experience speaks volumes!!

justpete
on 10/27/15 3:02 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

all the flavored yogurts are garbage if you are trying to avoid sugars ... and very few of them are actually greek yogurts to begin with (if they contain corn startch or milk powder ... they not real). buy some NATURAL flavored probiotic greek yogurt (kirkland brand at costco is good option), add 50g of blackberries, and a pack of sweetener or SF syrup ... you'll get 18g protein with only about 7g sugar in a 175g serving (plus the berries) at like 125 calories. bonus you will actually get some beneficial bacteria in your gut and some fiber to keep them happy!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active
Recent Topics