Dr's approval- very questionable!

twiddleDee
on 10/27/15 4:45 am

Haha to funny, that's just it, when something tastes so bad, you'd rather go hungry than drink it. I think alot of protein drinks are that way. I am 5 wks out today, which I am glad to be this far, but feel I am still having so many issues. One being lactose intolerant, which I didn't know, til consuming my protein drinks daily. Once I get that squared around I should be ok and this will be much easier. No one I've talked with had any problems or I haven't had their problem (headache or swallowing to big a bite) I know each week get's better, so I am looking ahead to better days !

Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to read up on soy based. I think that was suggested to me, never gave any thought to something other than the premier I've been drinking. I see there are several different ones to try....

Valerie G.
on 10/27/15 5:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had no restrictions when I came home from the hospital. I was told basically the same thing, but keep in mind eat what you want doesn't mean ice cream and cookies. What they mean is that you don't have to do any progression diet from liquids to solid food. Start with softer meats (roasted or think crock pot) that are moist.

For your aversion to milk, don't write off all of dairy just yet. I cannot drink milk or whey protein, but things like cheese and yogurt don't bother me at all. If I cook with milk - no problem. It's just the whey protein and regular milk mixed in things without cooking. I found egg protein drinks not only to be tolerated well, but much tastier as well.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

twiddleDee
on 10/29/15 3:38 pm

So far no craving for sweets- I am 5wks out, but agree, that does not mean junk food. Weird, but I can eat cheese, but do not have the problem as I do with milk. Even cooking with milk like you said, I don't have a problem, just to drink it. Not an ice cream fan so never worried about that. I really need to work on liking yogurt. Most I have found have alot of sugar.

do you take Lactaid, so you can have milk? I have been, since I hate to give up my premier protein drink, but wish I could find a protein drink with that much protein in it, and it tastes as good as premier. Most are nasty tasting when mixing with water.

Never heard of egg protein drinks, something I am going to check out. Thanks for the "heads up"! Dee

Gwen M.
on 10/30/15 11:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You can mix with unsweetened almond milk.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

FuturePinUp
on 10/30/15 7:11 am

I was on soft-solids Day 1 post-op as per my clinic's program and then moved to dense solids 3-4 weeks post-op. I have read that it's becoming more and more common for post-VSG patients to be accelerated more quickly as it decreases the chances of food intolerance and other side-effects.

Even with that though, I was told to always follow the 60+ grams of protein a day rule, and 64+ ounces of water. The other stuff then just falls into place. I hardly think eating 4 oz of french fries 4-5 times a day would be beneficial not only to your diet, but also to your body functions, so I can't imagine any doctor recommending to just "eat anything."

Maybe if he said "Eat anything, as long as you get over 60 grams of protein and only have 3 meals and 1 snack a day," I could understand the logic.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

stacy T.
on 10/31/15 9:16 pm - San Francisco, CA

Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate is the most available form you can get. Get it plain, with no milk product added and then make your own shakes.

I hated it in my food and just mixed it into water and drank it down and then sipped on my smoothie.

Most Active
Recent Topics