Dr's approval- very questionable!

White Dove
on 10/26/15 9:37 am - Warren, OH

Your doctor is conducting an experiment. He is going to see what happens when a patient is told to eat anything, just smaller portions. Then in a year of two he can tell new patients whether or not those new rules worked.

We end up being Guinea pigs for these experiments.

If it was my body, I would follow a high protein, low carb plan and maximize my weight loss. You are the one who will waste your surgery honeymoon if this experiment does not work. You will be left with the excess weight and have lost this wonderful window of opportunity where weight loss is easy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 10:58 am

you are right! I feel as if I am wasting this time, and not getting the full benefit I could be. Having a milk allergy is tough, when most all protein drinks have milk or made with milk. I know you can use water, but not as tasty. I am following a high protein with 10 carbs or less a day. I look forward to each new stage, hoping it is better than the last one on. thanks for reply!

rocky513
on 10/26/15 2:01 pm - WI

Do you have a milk allergy or are you lactose intolerant? They are very different things. Whey Isolate is 99% lactose free and, when mixed with cashew milk or almond milk, can be quite good. Check the labels. If the protein powder has whey concentrate in it, it contains lactose.

There are some very good egg based protein powders, but they are not as easily absorbed as whey isolate.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 2:20 pm

Thanks Rocky, yes, I am lactose intolerant. I am going to look for stuff that is whey isolate after another member suggested it also. thanks for the advice, I will definitely have to read labels and remember whey is lactose. it's also been suggested to me to take lactaid to see if it helps with my protein shakes. Plan to check out and see if anyone else does this (take lactaid). CONGRATS

on going beyond your goal!!

Neesie57
on 10/26/15 10:21 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I'll be twelve weeks out tomorrow, and am still not eating everything I want. I'm eating about 2 ½ ounces each meal, protein first, then veggies if I have room. During week 2-8 I was on soft food like canned tuna, salmon or chicken with some light mayo, or soft scrambled or boiled eggs.

You should be getting 60-80 grams of protein a day and taking calcium, iron and multi-vitamins to keep your health good during this weight loss period. Don't drink for 30 minutes after eating, to allow the food to digest before adding fluid to the mix.

I eat 3 meals a day, with 2 or 3 snacks like yogurt or cheese between meals. Greek yogurt is a good way of getting your protein in. Some of them have as much as 18 grams of protein each cup.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, get on here and ask. We'll be happy to help.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 11:06 am

Wow, you've done well-keep up the good work! I do put protein first, and no room for anything else til after about 45mins to an hr. but then not hungry, so almost have to force myself to eat something. Getting better about that. I don't do dairy, so that leaves me having to find other sources, ( mostly meat right now) for protein. gonna check out some other forums on what other people are eating, that should help. Glad you and others are happy to lend some advice for me (and others for help) THANKS!

mickeymantle
on 10/26/15 10:49 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was allowed all foods at 2 weeks but told I needed to get 80 gm protein I was told that after that there would not be much room for other stuff but I could add veggies and fruit , I do after 2 years add a spoonful or 2 of rice once in a while ( treat)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 11:12 am

That sounds to soon, as I was told something like that also. I am slowly getting a handle on food/water, and such, but looks like you know what works for you! Keep it up!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 12:13 pm

I have found the shakes you mix up yourself far more satisfying than ready made shakes. You can get the whey isolate (easier to digest) ones of even ones made from all veggies (if you so choose). I like the Unjury ones and the vanilla Body Lab makes (available at Rite Aid and other pharmacies). My nut would tell you at this point add fruit, cottage cheese or anything you like to them. Protein, protein , protein. I'm sure you have heard it enough times. Chicken is good both as an entree and a snack food. Just try and make sure it is moist..dry chicken if the worst to get down. I bake a bunch at once and put different seasonings on different chunks. Found a lot of veggies were better for quite a while if I mashed or pureed them, same with fruit. Just go slowly. Lots of great advice here if you look around. Sorry your Dr was not of more help and support to you at this stage.

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 2:09 pm

Thanks PQ for the advice. Right now, I am listening and learning from all the feedback and messages. I agree, chicken is the best, so many ways to fix it. I am definitely checking out the whey isolate, someone else mentioned, with my milk allergy. I do like the convenience & taste of my protein shake, just killing me on the lactose & whey. Thanks for your words of wisdom!!.

Most Active
Recent Topics