Dr's approval- very questionable!

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 7:35 am

Hi everyone! Just now signed on, looks like a ton of good information here, for those just starting out! My dilemma is my Dr. told me at 1wk out ( vertical sleeve) that I can eat anything I want and if it makes me sick, don't eat it!! I asked "what about the class/booklet and meeting with nutritionist about how to eat after surgery?" He says, "new rules". jus****ch your portion size. I am now going on 5 wks out, lost 20 lbs, but afraid to eat "anything I want" what kind of advice it that, especially coming from your Dr?? I have been doing protein shakes with 30g protein everyday, been sicker than a dog, finding out I have a milk allergy. Great- what do I do now? that was 1/2 my needed protein for the day. Any advice.......

Jennifer G.
on 10/26/15 8:40 am

Makes sense to me in a way. The sleeve makes it so that we can only eat small amounts regardless of what we eat. I think if we choose to eat nothing but cake, ice cream and French fries we would be in trouble, but even then we couldn't eat much of it. If you've been sick then this might be good for you; you can try a wider variety of foods to see what you can tolerate.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/26/15 9:11 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Believe me, the sleeve won't do much to slow you down about the refined carbs, or slider foods period because they're not filling. I can eat a ton of carbs in the form of cookies,candy, cake, ice cream, you get the idea, I just choose not to.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 10:43 am

I agree, I haven't eaten anything like that either!

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 10:42 am

Thanks Jennifer, I am slowly, very slowly, trying foods that I can tolerate. thanks for advice!

Gwen M.
on 10/30/15 11:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is definitely not true. Once we're healed, we can eat large amounts of unhealthy things and it's probably safe to say that most of us don't know how to eat - otherwise we wouldn't have been obese in the first place.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 10/26/15 8:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

OK, your doctor sounds a little nuts You obviously are picking up on that or you wouldn't be coming here for advice. You should definitely be scared of "eating anything" at this point in time. That's a good way to do damage and make yourself sick. I would continue to follow your class booklet and nutritionist's advice.

As for your protitein powder, if you are using 100% whey protein isolate (the only kind you should be using right now), the lactose has mostly been removed from that. You can mix it up with almond milk or water and should be fine. The problem that some people have is they pick cheap brands of protein powder or ones that are a concentrate or blend...and those have lactose in them.

Check out the forums "What are you eating today" posts and look at what other successful people are doing that are at your post-op level. Most are still doing liquids or purees. Few have moved on to solids. I was one of those that did because my doctor didn't require full liquids post-op (he probably should have!).

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 10:51 am

Thanks Tracy, It was suggested (from dr's office) to start with premier protein shakes. so that is what I have been on, until realizing I cannot handle the milk base. it does have whey concentrate in it, is "isolate" the kind without lactose? I will check out the "eating today" forum. I know I am getting tired of eating the same 5-6 things day in day out. Thanks for advice!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/26/15 9:13 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I think your Dr is a little nutty. I think at a month out I was still going thru the stages, I think I was at soft/pureed foods at that point. Listen to your nutritionist, read your booklet, & maybe get another Dr & get a second opinion.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

twiddleDee
on 10/26/15 10:52 am

Agree!

Most Active
Recent Topics