Almost surgery day!

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/24/15 5:58 pm

Monday is the day!!! I have been on the liquid diet for 9 days and no problems. It has actually been a lot easier than I thought, minus missing being able to eat at social situations. I have not felt sick, or tired, or really anything. Actually, I sort-of feel better. My ankles and feet are less swollen, face less puffy, and I am down almost 13 pounds in two weeks. This has me thinking that maybe I could do this on my own but know I would probably fail on my own, so I'm going to go through with it. Scared and nervous about the surgery and post-op complications. I want to be able to eat whatever I want after I progress through all the stages, just in smaller portions, and concentrating on better choices. I just am scared about not being able to eat much or having adverse reactions to food. I'm 36, fairly healthy, or so I thought...pre-op tests showed I have fatty liver disease and he said if I didn't get a handle on it, it could progress to liver failure so getting healthy has new meaning to me, especially since I lost my Mom when I was young and she was only in her thirties. Prayers appreciated!

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/24/15 6:00 pm

Also worried if I am making the right decision. I know this is major surgery and unreversable.

msecanales
on 10/24/15 6:14 pm

You and I are in the same boat! My surgery is also Monday 10/26/15! I was told to be at the hospital at 1pm which means my surgery won't be until probably 3-4pm! I am also very nervous and anxious. Never had surgery before, so I don't know what to expect. I have also lost about 12 lbs on this 2 week pre-op diet. The first few days were very difficult for me. After that, I don't really feel the hunger anymore.. Not the same. I just hope they are able to give me something for my nerves like as soon as I arrive at the hospital. I look forward to reading your updates. I will also try to post. Good luck!

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/24/15 6:32 pm

This site is neat to be able to find someone who is in the same boat as me. Can't wait to hear how your surgery went and hear about your progress afterwards. I am also SO very nervous and keep contemplating if I am making the right decision. Can they give you something for anxiety upon arrival? If so, I might need that! I am first in the morning, don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but I have to be there at 5:30 am and surgery is at 7:15 am.

msecanales
on 10/24/15 7:54 pm

Yes, I asked my surgeon about anxiety meds and he said they would give me some. I wish I could have mine early like you.. that way it's done and over with. Instead, I get to continue thinking about it all day! Also, I don't want my surgeons hands to be tired by the time he gets to me.. lol

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/25/15 9:05 am

LOL! You'll be fine! Keep us updated! I appreciate you sharing about the anxiety meds. I might have to ask. :)

Donna L.
on 10/24/15 6:50 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The VSG doesn't just restrict food. Multiple studies have shown it, too, has metabolic effects on digestive hormones similar to the RnY. Despite that, it's true that you could stay on a low-carb diet long term (our liquid diet is basically a low carb diet that reduces our glycogen stores to shrink the liver), but it is so much easier to eat less post-surgery. Post-surgery is a whole new world. In truth, though, only you know what is best for you. I was 38 and had diabetes type 2, and multiple other issues such as hypertension. My diabetes was resolved/cured a week after surgery (numbers have remained normal for three months), and my hypertension was drastically improved. I was also over 400 pounds, and eating smaller portions of food has always been super difficult. Surgery is like a night and day difference in that regard for me. Then again, I suppose there's a reason that the majority of people who are morbidly obese don't keep a lot of weight off without surgery, statistically.

Almost four months out I can pretty much eat everything but wheat, however that wasn't a surprise as I have Celiac. I did have adverse food reactions but they've mostly resolved.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/24/15 7:08 pm

Can you eat rice?

Donna L.
on 10/24/15 7:12 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yes, but carbs impede weight loss, so I don't eat it. Carbs increase serum insulin, and insulin is lipogenic.

You also need to eat protein first, so I pretty much never have room for rice. I imagine when I eat Japanese food again I might have a bit here and there (I used to eat pounds of it a week) but I really don't miss it, to be honest.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/25/15 9:02 am

Good to know! I don't want to sabotage this. I need to lose this weight to be healthy, but if I want a bite of rice or sushi, I want to know I can and not get sick. I plan on sticking to protein dense foods and fruits and veggies though. Already pinning some healthier recipes on Pinterest.

Most Active
Recent Topics