1 day post opp

c_ruiz1982
on 10/23/15 9:54 pm

they sent me home with blood thinning syringes (10), and oral percaset (2xs every 8), they gave me tons of pepsid shots, nausea shots , and pain killer shots in hospital. switched to liquid percaset which I puked up black chunks and had me take a shower b4 I left. I was seriously shocked that I was only in hospital a day especially when I am not making progress. I can't tolerate broth or popcylcle. and the only thing I want is iced water which my husband thinks is going to make me sick since my iron is low.

Chanti_
on 10/23/15 10:18 pm, edited 10/23/15 3:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

If you wan****er, try water, it's worth a shot, but go slow, I didn't start on clear fluids and that was just ice chips until day two. I did nothing but IV fluids for the first 24 hours. Normal not to be passing gas yet, as long as you are up and moving around it will come. If you do spike a fever make sure you get back to the hospital ASAP.

sleevedinseptember
on 10/24/15 8:37 am

It sounds like you need to get something for the nausea ASAP. Once you control the nausea, then you can regulate your pain meds and start getting in the broth. If you can tolerate water, please drink it. Right now since you are throwing up and can't keep even broth down, you're at risk for dehydration. Call your doctor and ask him to prescribe something for nausea. I hope he also gave you some antacid like omreprazol to start in the next few days so that your stomach acid can be controlled.

Sip your water, a little, little bit at a time every few minutes or do the ice chips. Maybe just focus on water for the next day or two and then try the broth again. Crush the pain pill and take it in a broken up form - don't try to swallow the whole thing right now. But first take something for the nausea, then 30 minutes later take your pain pill and stay on schedule.

Very sorry to hear how much pain you're in. Hope it gets better but please do try to get some liquid in otherwise you will end up back in the hospital for dehydration.

texasbumpkin
on 10/24/15 8:42 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Call you MD

LynnAlex
on 10/24/15 10:45 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I think the average is 2 nights. They took me off the IV pain pump within 12 hours after the operation. I was only allowed to eat ice chips the first day. Second day was broth, jello and decaf tea. Any medicine that the hospital gave me was crushed into a powder. I did not release any gas for 24 hours. The second day I started, but 100% of my pain was gas. I think if you understand it is pressure from the gas, it may not be so emotionally draining. I've never heard anything about iron and ice, AND it is more important to get your liquids in now and not worry about iron. In a couple of weeks you can pay attention to vitamins and iron.

I had no problem with liquids after surgery, but many people do that is why your doctor is not worried. You are healing. You should be able to drink sips soon. Even now at 2.5 months, I forget and want to gulp water---my pouch contracts like monthly period cramps. You have to take it slow.

Good luck, and keep walking. You want the gas to keep moving and not get stuck in pockets.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

mcrlyn2
on 10/24/15 4:12 pm

I am two weeks post op and was surprised by the pain and nausea as well. Taking the pain meds helped and also nausea meds. Be patient, it will go away.

Tracy D.
on 10/26/15 11:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's a vicious circle - you're nauseated due to dehydration and you can't drink due to the nausea.

Your #1 job now - even before eating - is to drink, drink, drink all day long. Call your doctor to get a script for a strong anti-nausea med. You've got to nip this in the bud now so you don't end up back in the hospital with an IV in your arm. It's seriously dangerous.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics