1 day post opp

c_ruiz1982
on 10/23/15 7:07 pm

I had surgery yesterday morning and I'm home already. I'm so nauseated, I can't deal with my pain , and I can't keep broth down. I need help.

speakmymynd
on 10/23/15 7:11 pm

I haven't had my surgery yet, so I don't know much; but, have you called your doctor about this?

Mark

c_ruiz1982
on 10/23/15 10:00 pm

I saw my dr before I was released and he said this is perfectly normal jus****ch for fevers over 101. I had a vertical sleeve, hernia fixed and puncture in small intestine fixed I haven't passed gas or bm yet but I'm home bairly a day later. I think it's a insurance thing. I have great insurance but they only let you stay if something is seriously wrong. good luck to your surgery and let them know if you have any complications so they can try and make you comfortable.

c_ruiz1982
on 10/23/15 10:08 pm

dr says Norma jus****ch for fevers over 101

Meri224
on 10/23/15 7:21 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 10/07/15

It's crazy to me that in the states they kick you out after one night! That's one thing I liked about my Mexico surgery, I got to stay for 3 nights. Is the pain gas pain, or pain in your belly where they did the surgery? There's a good chance it's gas pain, which can actually make you feel nauseau. I know it's counter-intuitive, but if you are able to, walking helped me sooooo much. Also, in bed I would do this silly thing where I got on my hands and knees and stuck my butt up in the air. Gas pain is just physics baby, help direct that gas where it needs to go

I definitely felt the same way, so what you're feeling is pretty normal. I wish the hospital kept you for longer. If it's so bad though that you can't walk, I might consider calling the doctor. Feel better!!!!

c_ruiz1982
on 10/23/15 10:06 pm

I'm in California, I wish I would of done the surgery in Mexico. I think they kick you out based on insurance. I have Cigna Hmo and I know someone with medicare that was in hospital a few days. I don't know what's causing the pain. they did the sleeve, fixed my hernia and a puncture in my small intestine. I threw up stomach acid and liquid percaset. can't keep down broth, could not eat in hospital etc... I still can't bm either. my dr says it's all normal and if I have fever over 101 gp see him. my stomach looks ugly. I have seven "stab wounds " held together by glue since I'm allergic to sterile strips, and need to inject blood thinner for 10 days.

Minkey
on 10/24/15 11:52 am

I also had a hernia repair with the sleeve surgery. Fortunately I was in for 2 nights since I hadn't had any gas release. I found that chewing peppermint sugar free gum really helped move the gas and stop the nausea. I would than take a very small sip of water while the gum was still in my mouth which helped to get me hydrated. It will get better, but right now it seems like you're ready to die. Keep plugging and you'll be better soon. Good luck!!!

Lifesabeachwithvsg
on 10/23/15 9:05 pm

I had surgery on Monday and had terrible nausea on Tuesday that kept me from getting any of the full liquids down. My surgeon suggested taking a teeny tiny sip (as if I was testing a really hot cup of cocoa) and then waiting 45 seconds before taking another sip. I also switched up what I was drinking until I found something I could tolerate. Things are going great now! 4 days post op and I was able to meet my fluid and protein goals today!

c_ruiz1982
on 10/24/15 9:15 am

I can bairly get a sip of water down with my BP and pain meds ):

Chanti_
on 10/23/15 9:37 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Did they send you home with prescriptions for pain meds and antacids? I was on IV pain and nausea and reflux medications for 24 hours then was switched to orals in hospital for another 24 hours as needed. After that the pain was manageable, but the antacids are huge. I needed them scheduled around the clock for 10 days and still @ a month out I need them pretty regularly. The GasX strips that dissolve on your tongue are also a big help. You are @ risk for dehydration pretty quickly if you aren't able to keep fluids down. I would say if things aren't improving by the morning return to the hospital, and sooner if your pain is worsening. Try to get even an ounce of broth in over a 15 to 30min period, just wet your tongue with the broth every other min or so, see if that helps. Let us know how your doing.

Most Active
Recent Topics