Give me your input on sleeve gastrectomy!

psychoticparrot
on 10/21/15 7:28 am

I had a band-to-sleeve revision in Feb. 2015. I'm 64 and female. My high weight at 5'1" was 275. Health problems: high BP, high cholesterol, high lipidemia, worsening asthma, sleep apnea, reflux, hypothyroidism, migraines, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, polymyalgia rheumatica, chronic depression, extreme fatigue.

Sleeve surgery saved my life.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

AngloAm
on 10/21/15 7:46 am

You have to ask yourself:

1) What are the complications of staying obese on your heart and your joints?

2) Will you get an objective view of the pros and cons - here might be a bit boosterish, but the ER/PACU will give you a highly biassed view of the risks.

3) What success have you had so far at losing weight and sustaining that loss?

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

wyo_sarah
on 10/21/15 7:52 am

I was almost 36 when I got my sleeve, high weight of 275 and around 260 when I had surgery. That was 15 months ago. I'm 5'6 and consistently am between 140-145. I didn't have any co morbid conditions. The first 6 weeks were very hard for me. I was weak, nauseated, and exhausted. I couldn't stand long enough to shower. And I threw up a lot. But since then, everything has been great. It was like I turned a magical corner at 6 weeks. I have no regrets. I look great, I feel great, I have tons of energy.

Valerie G.
on 10/21/15 11:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you really want to see the bad with the good, check out these forums that include all procedures:

WLS Revisions

Failed WLS

WLS Complications

WLS Regrets

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LeapSecond
on 10/21/15 1:45 pm - AR

I was a unit nurse for years. One of my first patients was a botched surgery, and a non compliant patient. I have taken care of one patient for entire shifts because of a surgeon that was new to WLS. I wouldn't even consider having it done because of my perspective. Then as I was becoming so obese that I started developing co-morbidities. HTN, joint pain, sleep apnea, depression, heart issues and mobility issues. My cardiologist recommended WLS. I had tried all the diets and lost... then regained plus a little. You do have to look to the future if nothing really changes. I am 13 months PostOp and have lost a whole person. I have truly gained a new lease on life. I look at food differently now. It is not a cure by any means but I would do again. Some of my co-morbidities are gone. Some are leaving. My future looks healthier. My advise is: Do your research. Ask questions about your doctor's personal stats. How many have they done? % of extra weight lost? Leaks??? Infection? Morbidity rates? Is the facility a bariatric center of excellence?

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

jenny_733
on 10/21/15 4:27 pm

THANK YOU everyone for all your comments and feedback! I truly appreciate it. Another question: did your energy improve after having VSG and with initial weight loss? My energy level is pretty much zippo. Hoping that with the weight loss comes the energy to be more active and life a healthier (moving) lifestyle!

psychoticparrot
on 10/21/15 5:53 pm

Several years ago, my doctor insisted on giving me a handicap placard for my car because I couldn't walk 500 feet without stopping at least twice to catch my breath. Walking from one room to another was difficult, painful, and exhausting. I was the kind of person you see riding the electric cart in the supermarket. My husband had to do the cooking, the cleaning, the laundry, and everything else because I didn't have the energy to do it any longer. I was dying by inches.

In the 9 months since my surgery in February, I can now easily walk (not waddle!) a mile and do 20 minutes of steady swimming. I am cooking again (and almost enjoying it!), keeping our boat (our current residence) clean, and generally doing everything and more that I used to do 15 years ago before my weight crept up into the morbidly obese range.

So, to answer your question, YES!!!!

psychoticparrot

Paula1965
on 10/21/15 7:36 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Increased energy has been the best side effect for me, but getting into sized 3/4 jeans ain't too shabby either! I am 50 and work in the medical field as well. I've lost just over 100 lbs., am a normal BMI now. I love to be active and now have the energy to do so.

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

jenny_733
on 10/21/15 8:08 pm

Oh to wear smaller scrubs would be so nice!

Ready2goNOW
on 10/21/15 4:40 pm

I just had mine done last week.

I am older and wish I could had it done 10 years ago. I developed high blood pressure in my late 40's, cancer & a heart condition in my 50's, and sleep apnea. I was borderline diabetes and high cholesterol. Mobility was becoming a real issue.

Last winter I envisioned myself in 5 years...if I lived that long. I would be housebound using a wheelchair, on oxygen, having other bathe me and take care of my most personal hygiene issues because I could not take care of myself.

Not a pretty picture!

I'd suggest doing it now. I expect all my co-morbidities to go away except the most annoying...my heart issue. And that could have been avoided if I hadn't developed sleep apnea.

Good luck!

Kathy

Most Active
Recent Topics