carbs

Cathy K.
on 10/21/15 12:34 pm

Having such a hard time keeping away from the carbs, and I have to say I don't feel good. Got to do better.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/15 1:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Keep them out of your house completely if you can. If they're not around, you can't eat them! I find it helps a TON if I don't buy crackers, and instead keep the fridge stocked with stuff like string cheese and yogurt.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

vsg_codeman
on 10/21/15 1:17 pm

You will feel better without the carbs in 3-4 days. The 3rd and 4th day is the hardest for me. When the sugars (glycogen) deplete from your body, you will lose weight which is mostly in the form of water weight. After I eat carbs, I can gain as much as 10lbs of water retention in 2-3 days. Its crazy. When I am off the carbs, I feel much better and more focused.

If you need more help and ideas, theres a good site called ruled.me

psychoticparrot
on 10/21/15 6:11 pm

I don't know where you are in terms of the surgery: pre-op liquids, post-op solid food cravings, junk carb cravings?

If pre-op liquids, you'll have to muscle through it until surgery. It's important to stay carb-free because it will help your surgery go more smoothly.

If post-op recovery, just do the best you can until your stomach heals. Be sure to drink enough. That helps with the cravings.

If you're recovered from the surgery and just have a hard time keeping away from carbs: Get them all out of your home. If they're not there, you can't eat them. If you want to indulge yourself, buy a bit of good-quality smoked salmon to eat with your eggs for breakfast, or get a gourmet cheese to nibble on from time to time. Buy a wide range of teas and coffees to indulge every whim (sans sugar and cream, of course). Take a course or teach yourself to cook foods from cultures that have long-standing healthy cuisines. The longer you can keep away from carbs, the easier it will be to resist them.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Cathy K.
on 10/22/15 5:51 am

Thanks Everyone,

I'm 2 years out and finding it hard to stay focused. have dropped 2# just in 2 days. Didn't realize that carbs hold fluid. Feeling better already.

klv2355
on 10/22/15 12:58 pm
VSG on 12/01/14

Yes! A struggle, but knowing is half battle! Keep out of house and that should help. Stay strong and busy:). If you have a bite, savor and throw away:).

I am doing this!!! Getting to my goal! 

Spencerella
on 10/22/15 4:40 pm, edited 10/22/15 9:41 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

At three years out, I've had to de-carb several times to get my cravings/calorie intake back in control. Lots of good advice given above, but I have a couple of additional suggestions. If you're having trouble hanging in for the first few days while cravings are in play during the detox, it might be helpful to allow yourself all the dense protein you want until your head hunger settles down. Just a few days and I promise you things will get a lot easier. Also, many of us who've been in maintenance for awhile find we do best when keeping our carbs around 100 gr daily. Can't say I do that all the time, but it really is my day to day 'happy place'.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Grim_Traveller
on 10/22/15 8:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Hey stranger! Great to see you around.

Excellent advice, as always.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics