How long were you out of work?

Manndragorra
on 10/18/15 12:28 pm
with

I originally planned for four weeks off work but ended up only taking two and a half weeks. I work in insurance and sit all day. When I did go back to work, I was extremely tired when I would get off work and it made getting in exercise hard. Plus sitting at my desk all day was rough, my legs would get stiff and I would get really uncomfortable after about 60 - 90 minutes of sitting. It also takes me about three times longer to get out of the house every morning than it did pre-op. Between getting my vitamins taken, the meds I am on for acid and to reduce the chance of gall stones plus packing my lunch and preparing breakfast. It still takes the same amount of time even if I pack my lunch the night before. I honestly thought I was ready to go back after a week and a half but now that I am back at work I wish I would have just done half days for a week or so to get a feel of how I would be able to handle the day.

I will suggest going for a walk at lunch and every 90 minutes or so, even if it is just to the bathroom or to ge****er. I only get 30 minutes for lunch so I walk for 15 - 20 minutes outside and than use the remaining time to hit the ladies room, fill up my water cup and warm my lunch up (thankfully I can eat at my desk). I would also discuss with your superiors the possibility of half days or going home early if needed. My first week and a half back were tough and I would do things a little different if I had to do over again.

Shel25
on 10/18/15 12:30 pm

2.5 weeks. I mostly have a desk job. It was the week of Christmas so there was some extra time off built in that was very nice.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/15 12:39 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

I manage a hospital, so some desk work, some heavy lifting....etc. I had surgery on a Saturday and back to work 4 days later on Wednesday. I was a little tired the first few days, but nothing horrible. Everyone is different though. I was going to the gym 4-6 times a week for a year before surgery, and I think it really helped with how quickly my body handled surgery. The worst part was getting in and out of the car the first week, and just making sure I avoided picking up anything too heavy.

texasbumpkin
on 10/18/15 5:27 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I am a nurse, and my doc said 6 weeks due to lifting.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/19/15 9:11 am - MI

I was out a week.

I believe walking everyday and drinking my water really helped me to recover quickly and feel great!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 3:08 pm

I took two weeks off but I would have been fine going back to work four days after surgery (I work in IT, so mostly a desk job and walking around). A week after surgery I didn't even have any gas discomfort left.

Most Active
Recent Topics