Tickles My Stomach

lowbrass03
on 10/19/15 7:04 am - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

One of the things that I love about my sleeve is that even now (surgery was summer 2012) I still don't feel hunger 95% of the time.

But I have noticed that I do feel hunger after eating oatmeal. I eat oatmeal as often as I can because it keeps me regular. I hate constipation, so I do whatever I can do to avoid it. It just crazy how oatmeal just seems to tickle my stomach & triggers hunger an hour or so after eating it.

Does es anyone have a similar experience ?

Luvmygs
on 10/19/15 7:48 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I LOVE oatmeal but had to stop eating it because it caused weight gain for me. It pretty much kept me full until lunch time, thats what I really loved about oatmeal. Glad to read your post after 3 years still having success with WLS. Thank you for posting.

White Dove
on 10/19/15 8:52 am - Warren, OH

I learned to replace oatmeal with protein and take fiber supplements for constipation. Oatmeal will slow down your weight loss and hunger and carb cravings.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/19/15 9:05 am - MI

I don't eat oatmeal, but Friday and today was the first time I have had greek yogurt in three to four months and both Friday and today I feel like it has triggered something. Like you......90 to 95% of the time I'm not hungry! I will have greek yogurt again tomorrow morning and see if I get the triggers again!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

mmsmom
on 10/19/15 11:40 am - Woburn, MA

Maybe check the yogurt for fructose - some of the light ones add it- and I don't know why!!!

VSG on 04/28/2014

psychoticparrot
on 10/19/15 6:37 pm

Oatmeal is a grain, which means it's mostly starch. Starches, unlike proteins, will slip through your sleeve quickly, so you won't feel full very long after eating them. Protein -- meats, chicken, fish, eggs, tofu, beans -- will fill up your sleeve and digest fairly slowly over several hours, keeping you feeling full much longer.

Try something else for regularity, like prunes (my favorite, 2 every night -- 40 calories), or an over-the-counter stool softener. Oatmeal is touted as a very healthy food, but for sleevers, it's not the best choice.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics