what's in your hospital bag?

c_ruiz1982
on 10/18/15 6:39 pm

My surgery is in 4 days, I'm getting everything ready now. How long did you stay in the hospital? what medicines /vitamins do we really need? *( dr gave suggestions on what to get but I feel like it's too many things), how did you feel afterward? example If I have surgery Thursday morning can I still coach soccer on Saturday? or will I still be in hospital?

mickeymantle
on 10/18/15 8:11 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

pair of underwear and some puzzle books everything else is supplied by hospital

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/15 8:43 pm
VSG on 07/27/15

Hmm.. what was in my bag... way too much! lol

All the things I thought I would want or need, I ended up not even using at all.

I was in the hospital for 2 nights.

I had packed, jammies, a robe, extra undies, my tablet, some toiletries, and my favorite chapstick...

The only thing I used, and I highly recommend taking, is the chapstick!

I never even put on the undies. hahaha Just went without the whole time, since they make ya get nekked anyways. Plus they gave me 2 hospital gowns, one to wear with the opening in the back, and the other to wear as a robe.

I was going to take slippers, but didn't need those, either, since they had the pumpy things on my legs almost the whole time, and gave me little no slip booty socks.

The hospital also provided quite a few of the necessities, even hand lotion and stuff. They had lip blalm, too, but theirs kinda sucked, so I was happy I had mine.

I dozed in and out most of the time, and didn't even use my tablet. Just played on my phone a little bit when I was half awake.

Not so sure about coaching soccer by Saturday.. I was up and moving right off the bat, but still had quite a bit of pain when I moved, or had to try to get in the car or anything.

Anyways, Ill stop babbling now. lol Long story short - Take chapstick! :)

Everything else you can do without.

Good Luck and Congratulations on your surgery! :)

Neesie57
on 10/18/15 11:12 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

The only thing I used from my bag was my change of clothes to wear home from the hospital. I was only in for one night, then went home. I also had my surgery on a Tuesday, but would not have been able to go anywhere by Saturday. This is major surgery, you need more time to heal.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/15 2:38 am

I would doubt you will feel up to coaching soccer on sat. Better set up an alternate coach. I am surprised your Dr has not told you more about how long you can expect to be in the hospital or how you can expect to feel after surgery.

Don't need much in that bag. A book perhaps, I read a lot between naps. I used the slip on shoes (crocs) and socks I took as I did a lot of walking to move the gas after surgery. I had read a list of what to take but found I needed very little of what was on there. As someone else said the hospital pretty much provides it all.

Good luck with your surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/15 2:42 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

2 nights following surgery.

Chapstick is huge! Gas-x strips (my sleeve sister gave me some.... Wish I had packed them), pjs, extra socks, yoga pants for my way home....think very comfy waist band ;) toiletries that you want.

Magazines, books, I brought my iPad....which we used a lot. Chargers. One small bag was more than enough for the 2 of us to go to Mexico.

Good luck!!!

rocky513
on 10/19/15 4:31 am - WI

Bring Chapstick, loose fitting clothes for the trip home, and your pillow. Hospital pillows SUCK. You will need that pillow on your drive home to hold against your incisions when you hit a bump. The hospital will provide everything you need. I brought a book and never picked it up. You will be sleeping and walking and won't feel like doing much else.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Wanda1118
on 10/19/15 5:04 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I spent 24 hours in the hospital..wore the same loose fitting clothes home that I wore into the hospital (sweats) and took a clean pair of undies..chapstick is a good idea and a pair of slippers to slip on your feet to go home in so that you don't have to bend...I highly doubt you will be able to coach on Saturday...in fact I bet you won't even feel like going to watch the game..Good luck on your surgery and keep us posted!

c_ruiz1982
on 10/19/15 10:53 am

Dr said could be 1 day could be more, as I just had appendectomy on September 11. I'm just trying to be prepared (:

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/19/15 9:08 am - MI

I took a fill changes of clothes, toiletries, ipad and phone. The hospital will give you anything else medication or vitamin wise. I had surgery on a friday and drove to church and walk a mile the Sunday after. I was lucky and had no complications and felt great. Good luck to you.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics