Post-op VSG and struggling

Rodrme
on 10/16/15 9:37 pm

Hello all VSG participants. I'm 2weeks post-op and trying to stick to the protein shakes and water but I'm still hungry! I'm not sure if it's in my head but I'm really trying to keep to liquids. Is anyone else felt like this?

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/15 11:10 pm

By any chance are you taking a PPI or an H2 blocker? Often early out our sleeves still produce enough acid for a full sized stomach. The acid gurgles and can really honestly make you feel hungry. If you're not taking a PPI (Prilosec) or H2 blocker (Zantac) you should speak to your surgeon about taking one. It's what did the trick for me.

lolo100
on 10/17/15 9:07 am - colorado springs, CO
DS on 10/13/15

That is a good tip, thank you. I was on prilosec prior to surgery but had not resumed after. I will have to do that. I'm only 4 days out from surgery and have not felt hungry until last night. My son was eating a hot ham & cheese sandwich and i smelled so good, i really wanted to grab it and take a bite! I didn't of course. I'm getting my prilosec right now.

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/15 3:41 am

I found making my shakes with lots of ice in the blender helped a lot. I would sip slowly for hours. I think the constant small protein intake kept me "better fueled". I agree about taking a PPI if you are not doing so. That helped as well. If you make your own shakes (from powder) you can make them with milk and you can add a little fruit or something as you blend them or even a little cottage cheese.

MissNexxie
on 10/17/15 5:40 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Agreed on the PPI. Can make all the difference in the world.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Rodrme
on 10/17/15 6:03 am

Thank you and no I wasn't taking either. I will try that. My surgeon mentioned something about it but I was wanting to leave the hospital that I probably didn't pay attention. Thank you

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/15 7:42 am

I am 5 days post-op and am very hungry especially in the morning. Today is the first day i took the acid reduction prescription so hoping that will help in the next few days. I find that first having a clear liquid in the first hour after i get up and then the protein shake makes me feel much better. Hope to see more answers about how other feel right after surgery. Hang in there.

Donna L.
on 10/17/15 11:12 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I went on Dexilant and it was like night and day in terms of hunger. I feel so much better on it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Dan1962
on 10/18/15 5:17 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

My first couple months were the worst for head hunger. I walked, or found some activity to keep my mind occupied. Its a complete change in your normal daily routine so it will take time.

Most Active
Recent Topics