Have you cheated during the 2 weeks of liquid only? pre op

c_ruiz1982
on 10/16/15 8:10 pm

Hello,

6 more days til surgery, Oct 22 at 8am. I want to cheat so bad. I'm literally around food all day, at work there are always baked goods from the parents (school), my husband is a chef, and there are yummy snacks at girlscouts /soccer/volleyball.

Has anyone here cheated (be honest ), if so what did you eat? and did this affect surgery?

White Dove
on 10/16/15 8:22 pm - Warren, OH

I did not cheat but bought sugar-free drinks. One drink was labeled Diet and that one actually had a ton of sugar.

It made my blood sugar too high and my surgery was almost cancelled.

The diet is to make the liver easier for the surgeon to work with. If the liver is too enlarged and inflexible, then they might have to sew you up without doing the surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 10/16/15 8:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Nope, didn't cheat, even a tiny bit.

Getting your head screwed on right is the toughest part of this. So, get screwin', and stop thinking about cheating.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chanti_
on 10/16/15 8:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I did not cheat but I was allowed to have a homemade veggie soup. The recipe was included in my pre-op guide. I ate that soup every single day and it saved me during the pre surgery phase. I can give you the recipe if you want to see if your doc will allow it.

Kiofish8
on 10/16/15 8:59 pm
VSG on 11/02/15

I did cheat....and you know what it hurt. The longer you have been on the diet the harder it is for food to go down because everything is shrinking for only liquids. So even though very tempting I would not cheat because it could be painful going down and your stomach could hurt. I know this sounds like post-op talk but nope I'm still pre-op! So stay strong your 6 days away you got this!!!

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/17/15 8:14 am

I believe you. Reminds me of after my tonsillectomy surgery this summer. I didn't eat for almost two weeks and when I could finally eat without pain, I had trouble eating much. However, once I did start eating the weight I had lost came back quickly which I disliked. Excited for my surgery on Oct. 26 and hope the weight stays off for good this time! :)

Neesie57
on 10/16/15 9:12 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I didn't cheat at all, and still have not cheated, even 10 weeks out from surgery. Just remember, those same types of snacks and food will be there after your surgery, so you need to be careful. Your surgery is just a tool, and won't keep you from having cravings. You won't be able to eat as much, but you can still eat the wrong things.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

ocean4dlm
on 10/17/15 3:16 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I did not cheat once pre-surgery and I haven't strayed off plan in my five months post VSG. I have chosen to look at my sleeve as a tool that must be treated with respect. It will only work as well as I care for it.

This approach has worked for me. I was able to lose a significant amount of weight prior to surgery and I am now 13 pounds from my surgeon's goal and 23 pounds from my personal goal.

Forcing your head onto the game early on, will enable you to identify and address any issues that could slow your progress toward a permanent healthy lifestyle, sooner rather than later. You've got this !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Mary Gee
on 10/17/15 4:46 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

If you cheat, you're going to feel miserable about it. You'll call yourself a failure. If you cheat pre-op, you more likely to cheat post-op. It is challenging to be around food all day -- but is that going to change post-op?

In regard to your husband being a chef, is he on-board with you having surgery? If he does the cooking at home, I'd talk to him about adapting recipes so you can eat according to your surgeon's plan. Post-op, after you go through the liquid and pureed food stages, you will basically be following a low carb program -- I'm sure he'll be able to come up with delicious meals for you.

Right now, you're at the toughest stage of the program - between now and a few weeks post-op, it's hard....but then you'll be able to enjoy "real food" again. Hang tough!

Best of luck to you.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

MissNexxie
on 10/17/15 5:33 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I did not cheat and I was on 5 Ensure per day for 2 weeks and that's it (besides water and tea). I looked at the surgery as a reward at the finish of a difficult challenge. I knew I wanted the surgery so could I do this one thing for two weeks to get my reward? Could i navigate this minefield of wanting? You damn right, I did. I realized I could do anything for 2 weeks if it meant getting that ultimate payout. I was not going to let food win again, especially when the stakes were so high, and you shouldn't either. Think of the surgery on a hook being just beyond your grasp and it gets closer each day you succeed on pre-op plan, but, for every cheat it gets a little further away. Is a chocolate bar, chicken wing, or slice of pizza worth more than the surgery? Cuz that's the deal you're considering...

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active
Recent Topics