Sweet Creamy Beans Drink...Yes it sounds nasty but is really good!

Billy D.
on 10/16/15 7:04 pm, edited 10/16/15 7:08 pm

If anyone here has ever been to Dominican Republic, this is a very popular "drink?", especially near Christmas or Lent. Yes, it sounds gross, when they offered it to me I wanted to throw it somewhere when they weren't looking but after tasting it, I loved it. It's the only way I like beans.

Here's a link to recipe, just switch out the evaporated milk and other things for the fat free version. I was in Moca and they did not use coconut milk so you should leave that out as it is fattening, same for the cookies, maybe a drop of coconut extract if you like. It really just is beans, sweet potato, cloves, cinnamon, sweetener and evaporated milk, it is the consistency of a shake.

http://www.dominicancooking.com/979-habichuelas-con-dulce-sw eet-creamed-beans.html http://www.dominicancooking.com/979-habichuelas-con-dulce-sw eet-creamed-beans.html

Kiofish8
on 10/16/15 9:04 pm
VSG on 11/02/15

Oh man that sounds good. I like to eat alot of strange sounding foods. Unfortunately my diet doesnt allow beans or anything with actual substance lol. Thanks for the post though!

psychoticparrot
on 10/16/15 9:43 pm

Thanks for the link. Once in a while I get a hankering for a sweet drink (NOT a McDonald's vanilla shake). Your recipe sounds intriguing and could possibly be made sleeve-friendly.

In Central America, there are two similar drinks made from grains: Pinolillo, made from cornmeal and cocoa; and Horchata, made from rice. I haven't tried them, but will take a sip if I find them when I go to Nicaragua this winter.

BTW, you can buy low-fat coconut milk in the grocery store, so you don't need to leave it out when making the drink.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Billy D.
on 10/17/15 5:02 am

I have a psycho Parrot too--Pedro...he's sitting here now in kitchen. I've had him since the 1989 He' just got done screaming, he's my alarm clock...crack of dawn every day for the last 28 years. I am not eating anything so I had to just make him his breakfast, piece of eggo waffle and chicken breast . He loves meat, and hates brooms and mops, vacuum and anything with stick or pole attached? He's also not very nice, just to me, although he does aim his poop at me.

happyteacher
on 10/17/15 8:38 am

If Pedro lived in my house he would become cat dinner. Just saying. You are a mightly patient soul to wake up to that kind of shrieking!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 10/17/15 12:52 pm

Bird freaks, like Billy D. and me, are a breed unto themselves. We love parrots precisely because of their screaming, their stubbornness, their messiness, their playfulness, their intelligence, and, above all, their capacity to love their human companion. My husband often threatened (jokingly ... I think) to put my parrot into the microwave for our dinner (tastes just like chicken! Probably sleeve-friendly, too!). If you're not a bird freak, you just won't understand their appeal. That's okay. Cat lovers, though more numerous, don't understand why everyone doesn't loves cats. (I happen to love cats too, but am extremely allergic to them).

psychoticparrot (now you know why)

happyteacher
on 10/17/15 4:13 pm

Lol, I think your hubby and I might get along well! You are right- I don't really get it, but I do totally get that people who love them have awesome reasons for doing so. My sister has a parrot. I literally can't stand being in the house for more than a half hour because of the shrieking. I also am a person who is very sensitive to noise. Why the noise of an elementary school doesn't bother me I have no clue- but a parrot. UGH

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 10/17/15 12:37 pm, edited 10/17/15 5:39 am

My "psychotic parrot" was an African grey parrot, Skipper. I had him for 15 years. Smart as a whip and mean as a snake. He loved me but hated everyone else, including my husband. Skipper would often chase him across the kitchen, screaming and clipped wings flapping, just to try to take a chunk out of my husband's ankle. My husband would end up crouching on top of the kitchen counter, yelling to me, "Come get this **** bird!"

I gave him (my parrot, not my husband -- though it was touch and go there for a while) to a woman who ran a parrot rescue operation. She trained him not to be so aggressive and then placed him with a local family. I gave him up (with many tears) when my son and daughter-in-law announced they were pregnant. An angry, aggressive parrot after a full-grown man is funny; a parrot who can crack hazelnuts with his beak and a newborn -- not so funny. I couldn't take the chance.

Is Pedro an Amazon? They're known for their screaming. I'll bet the improvement in your diet has been helpful to Pedro too. Parrots can get addicted to junk food, just like people. Skipper loved ice cream, pizza, candy canes (he'd walk over to the Christmas tree and help himself to any hanging on the lower branches). I loved him to death and still miss him intensely.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/18/15 4:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Horchata is really popular here in Arizona. It tastes just like rice pudding with lots of cinnamon! You can get it at taco shops made "right" with the consistency of milk, but they also sell it in packets as "agua fresca" (basically Mexican Kool-Aid), and there's also a soda-fountain version that's pretty popular. Can't say I've ever had the fizzy soda kind, but the regular kind is pretty good.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/16/15 11:45 pm, edited 10/16/15 11:55 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

If anyone here has ever been to Dominican Republic, this is a very popular "drink?", especially near Christmas or Lent. Yes, it sounds gross, when they offered it to me I wanted to throw it somewhere when they weren't looking but after tasting it, I loved it. It's the only way I like beans.

Here's a link to recipe, just switch out the evaporated milk and other things for the fat free version. I was in Moca and they did not use coconut milk so you should leave that out as it is fattening, same for the cookies, maybe a drop of coconut extract if you like. It really just is beans, sweet potato, cloves, cinnamon, sweetener and evaporated milk, it is the consistency of a shake.

http://www.dominicancooking.com/979-habichuelas-con-dulce-sw eet-creamed-beans.html http://www.dominicancooking.com/979-habichuelas-con-dulce-sw eet-creamed-beans.html

Substitituting evap milk for fat free, use artificial sweetener. Leave out raisin beans, use lowfat Coconut milk or omit it.

This isn't my original response. I don't know where it is but I never said these things yet it is written under my name. I complained to oh

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics