Loose skin

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/15/15 10:12 pm, edited 10/16/15 6:18 am

Does everyone have loose skin after VSG simply due to the rate of how fast the weight is lost? Has anyone had a success story where they don't have much lose skin? Or, should I expect that I will have it, everywhere. I am only 36 but know my arms and belly are the main places I'm concerned, my thighs too. I have surgery 10/26 and lose skin and hair loss are my two biggest concerns.

Wanda1118
on 10/16/15 1:24 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I do have the loose skin on my stomach and arms and hopefully will be able to have it removed when the time comes. I also had the hair loss and thought for sure by the time it was over I would be bald, but I wasn't. In fact my hairdresser said she couldn't even tell it..so that is nothing to panic about, you don't lose it all at 1 time nor do you lose all your hair. Good luck with your surgery and be sure to keep us posted!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/16/15 4:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Loose skin has nothing to do with how fast or slow you lose. Nothing. It has to do with how much extra skin you grew to cover yourself, how long you were obese, and genetics.

Once in a while someone makes up their mind to lose slowly, believing their skin will have time to "bounce back". They end up not losing nearly as much as they wanted to, and they still have loose skin.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/16/15 6:23 am

I didn't realize that! Good to know. I need this weight off fast or slow and yes, I will probably have loose skin but I want to feel better and have been unsuccessful dieting alone. I have actually been on diets off and on since I was ten years old and have been a human yo-yo for the past 26 years. Since the birth of my second son, the past 10 years, I have not been able to control my weight, no matter how hard I try or no matter what tool, pill, or supplement I use. I am hoping this will help me reclaim my health.

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/15 8:58 am
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/15 9:01 am

Sorry about the delete. I tried to add a photo from my profile, but it wouldn't take.

Anyway, I lost 108 pounds, and though I do have loose skin, it's pretty minimal. You can check out the pics on my profile and see that my loose skin is very, very minimal.

It's really luck of the draw. Losing slowly will NOT impact having loose skin. The only thing losing slowly seems to do, IMO, is prevent people from getting to goal.

frisco
on 10/16/15 9:14 am

It's really luck of the draw. Losing slowly will NOT impact having loose skin. The only thing losing slowly seems to do, IMO, is prevent people from getting to goal.It's really luck of the draw. Losing slowly will NOT impact having loose skin. The only thing losing slowly seems to do, IMO, is prevent people from getting to goal.

So true !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/16/15 1:19 pm

Awesome! I will definitely check your pics out! Thanks! :)

Tracy D.
on 10/16/15 9:32 am, edited 10/16/15 5:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The rate of loss doesn't have much to do with loose skin. Whether you lose it slowly or quickly, your skin will snap back (or not) based on how elastic your skin is, your age, your ethnicity (darker skin tends to snap back better), how long you've been obese and amount of stretch marks.

As we get heavy we actually grow EXTRA skin, did you know that? I didn't! So when you lose weight - no matter how you lose it or how fast - that extra skin has no where to go. It doesn't evaporate, it can't snap back to "original" because it was never original skin to begin with. So it's going to hang there.

I would tell you that no amount of excess skin is a reason to NOT have surgery or lose weight. Excess skin won't kill you....being morbidly obese absolutely will shorten your life. And loose skin can be fixed later on with plastic surgery.

You can click on my profile and if we're friends and you can see my before-and-after plastic surgery pics. As you'll see, even at maintenance weight I had a LOT of loose skin in the belly area that made me look like I was still fat.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/16/15 1:22 pm

Thanks for the advice. I had no clue we actually grew extra skin!!! I always thought it just stretched hence the term "stretch marks".

Most Active
Recent Topics