Time off work?

animallover1247
on 10/11/15 12:58 pm

I just wanted to know how long others took off work after their surgery? I need to go back ASAP!

MelissaKay_69
on 10/11/15 3:51 pm

I had my surgery on September 22 and took 4 weeks off. One more week before I go back. I'm a pharmacy technician and on my feet 8-10 hours a day. It's a pretty physical job most days. I mainly too 4 weeks working on my diet as I transition back to regular foods. I know most people don't take this much time off.

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/15 4:15 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

My husband and I each took 3 weeks off for our surgeries (VSG for him, RNY for me). But we both could have easily gone back after 2. A friend of mine had horrible nausea after her VSG though and came back to work after 4 weeks, but she still felt pretty sick for the next few months.

J Connel
on 10/11/15 5:04 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I had surgery on a Monday, came home from the hospital on Tuesday and was back at work the next week on Monday. I basically was off only 1 week total. I was bored being home and felt good enough to return. Just having some normalcy was important to me. I was off pain meds before I left the hospital and was driving myself to a hair appt the day after I was home. Now...I have a desk job. If you have a more labor intensive job, you would need more time off.

JC

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 6:03 pm

I am 4 days out and feel pretty good just a little sore. I start back tomorrow. If your job is physical labor you might want to wait. Everybody is different. I'd get at least a week out, I actually scheduled two weeks but since I feel so good I decided to return a week earlier. Good luck! Billy

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/15 4:16 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Had my surgery on 8/15/15, a Saturday, and was back to wok that Wednesday, 4 days later. I have a semi-desk job, still a lot of up and running around. Getting in and out of my suv vehicle was the worst...work itself was fine. Just a little tired until 1-2 weeks out. If you go back early, just plan on short days so you can see how you feel. I did 6-7 hours my first day back and back to 8-9 hours the days following that.

Everyone is different.

Manndragorra
on 10/12/15 6:56 am
with

I planned for 4 weeks off when I did the request at work since this was my second surgery in my life, was too young to remember the first, and didn't know what to expect. I was ready to go back around a week and a half but wanted the steristrips off before I did go back. I went back at two and a half weeks. I went to the gym after work on my first day back and that wasn't the best idea. I was tired after working all day and pretty much exhausted after the gym. I didn't return to the gym that week instead I would take a mile and a half to two mile walk towards sunset every evening to get some activity in. My second week back I only worked two days because I was going on vacation for seven days but was able to go to the gym on designated gym days and have been perfectly fine on vacation. I still get tired earlier in the evening than I did pre-op but even that is improving. I honestly believe each person is different, I sit all day at work and my legs would start to hurt at about hour six of eight, if you sit all day I would definitely get up every hour or two and walk a bit and if you have an active job, I would sit down for a few minutes every hour or two. I would also leave early if needed until you are "back to normal"

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/12/15 10:14 am - MI

I took 5 days off and I was ready to go back work. With that being said recovery was very smooth for me. I didn't have any issues.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

LK85
on 10/12/15 6:20 pm
VSG on 12/30/14

I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to my desk job on Monday. The school semester also started that day so I was up and moving between classes on campus. I was prepared to take off 2 weeks, had I needed the additional time though.

Cardamom
on 10/12/15 9:46 pm

I was so lucky to take 7 weeks off. I did, however had a pre-scheduled vacation for the week after surgery. I was fine getting around, with the exception of lifting. Just make sure you take breaks and do not overdo it.

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics