Sleeved on October 5 and I have questions, one of which is TMI. Sorry.

Duetoprivacy
on 10/10/15 4:36 pm

I still have quite a bit of pain in my upper right abdomen, enough that I'm still on the narcotic pain meds. I've had a relatively easy time getting fluids in, about 22 ounces of liquids and 60 grams of protein through protein drinks and then about 40 ounces from water or herbal tea.

Today, I ate two tablespoons of bean soup and one tablespoon of plain greek yogurt as well. I'm trying really hard to keep my protein levels as high as possible.

What I haven't had yet is a bowel movement since Sunday, October 4. I've been taking a stool softener daily and have had two doses of Miralax. Does anyone have any advice?

mickeymantle
on 10/10/15 4:40 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

one week is very normal your whole system is empty

daiaraa is normal once you start going

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Journey2be
on 10/10/15 4:42 pm

It took me about 10 days to have a bowel movement and I was always constipated after that too.

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Duetoprivacy
on 10/10/15 4:44 pm

Thank you, I've always had a very high vegetable diet and I'm used to being more regular. I really miss spinach and kale. More than anything else, I miss spinach and kale.

stacy T.
on 10/10/15 6:03 pm - San Francisco, CA

You might want to lay off the bean soup... That early on I think you are better off with pureed soups that are broth based with protein. My mom found tortilla soup, with out the tortillas, was good. She just blended it up.

Quit thinking about what you miss, for right now. As time goes by you will be able to once again have what you are missing. It's not forever, it just for now. Concentrate on high quality protein and fluids ; -)

Minced chicken is a good starter.

Laura R.
on 10/10/15 8:58 pm

I also was sleeved on the 5th. I also had bean soup today for the first time. I blended it first. I needed something other than sweet tasting shakes!! I am mourning "old food" a bit but I know it will get easier every day. I was able to use the restroom today after a few days of taking milk of magnesia. I am also trying to limit the narcotics as that makes the whole issue worse. Good luck!!

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 12:42 am

I think it is way too early for bean soup, my Dr says the 1st two weeks should be clear liquid...I guess he is more cautious that others that go a week or even less. Beans are gassy and the last thing you want this early is gas pains. You should be watering down your Greek Yogurt to a liquidy consistency, it should liquid enough to be sucked up with straw...but don't use a straw! I have been having homemade beef and chicken broth and I add Collagen Hydrolysate to the broth, 1 Tblsp has 6 grams of protein and it tastes like nothing and is easily mixed into hot or cold stuff. It actually gives the broth a better texture, plus it's great for your joints, hair skin and nails. It is a very easily digested protein that is easy on your stomach. Kefir is great for your stomach and to help with being regular after. It's loaded with probiotics and I think it is tastier than yogurt. I didn't like it before my surgery but now all of a sudden I am addicted to it. I was sleeved on 10/7 and still no bowel movement but also no cramps or feeling of bloatedness...strange isn't it. They started me on Miralax in hospital and told me to do that everyday but I switched to Colace. I drink 3 protein shakes a day..Premier Protein, each has 30 grams protein and they taste good....at least the vanilla does and it isn't too sweet. The painkillers also cause constipation. The good thing is unlike regular constipation, so far no feeling bad from it but like you, I can't wait to poop. Some say a small glass of prune juice helps...I tried that and nothing. It is pretty high in sugar so just a little can't hurt...it might work for you. Good luck!

Duetoprivacy
on 10/11/15 8:34 am

It's interesting how different doctors have such different post-op requirements. I was cleared for a full liquid including blended, thinned bean soups and greek yogurt as soon as I was able to handle 64 ounces of clear fluids per day and then move to soft foods next week. The Premier Protein shakes are my best friends.

The collagen hydrolysate sounds intriguing, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

White Dove
on 10/11/15 3:19 am - Warren, OH

You may not not have a BM until you stop the narcotics.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MyTurn2012
on 10/12/15 1:31 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

The constipation is a real pain..well in the butt! For me was quite uncomfortable and concerning..but it did pass eventually. Everyone is different..talk to your Dr or pharmasist for help.

Most Active
Recent Topics