Sorbitol Is this a concern?

Billy D.
on 10/14/15 12:18 pm

I bought some sugar free popsicles called Outshine bars. I just was looking at ingredients and noticed Sorbitol. I see on websites that sugar alcohols may give you upset stomach. Is that true of all the sugar alcohols or just the ones with the warning **may have a laxative effect.

I should have read ingredients beforehand. But there is no warning on the box about laxative effect but has anyone had issues with Sorbitol? I read online that Erythritol does not do that but I don't like that weird cooling effect. I am only allowed two popsicles a day but don't want laxative pops...last week maybe but not now. I see online that folks with a normal stomach usually don't have a problem with Sorbitol unless they eat excess amounts but those rules no longer apply with Sleeve. Has anyone had these? Also my list says Sugar Free Sherbert, I could not find that anywhere. Thanks

Tracy D.
on 10/14/15 2:09 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

All sugar alcohols (sorbitol is one of them) are hard on my gut. I may not get diarrhea but even two popsicles would probably give me horrible gas

I would probably try it and see how it effects you. As for sugar-free sherbert, I've never seen that anywhere either.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

iloveravens
on 10/14/15 3:25 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Sorbitol (and any sweetener ending in -ol) really do a number on my stomach. Try Popsicle brand sugar free pops. They aren't sweetened with Sorbitol.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

psychoticparrot
on 10/14/15 4:51 pm

A few years ago, I ate some sorbitol-sweetened hard candy with very unfortunate consequences. I now try to avoid all sweeteners, artificial and natural.

I had a McDonald's vanilla shake today in a moment of weakness and found, to my dismay, that sugar itself is very disruptive to the digestive system when you're not used to it any more. I posted an account of my vanilla-shake experience in more detail, if you care to read it.

I've come to realize that sweetness, no matter its source, is not a thing to be eaten regularly. It has no nutritive value, and too much of it can play havoc with the action of a healthy gut.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

califsleevin
on 10/14/15 8:31 pm - CA

While I'm not familiar with that particular product, I haven't had any particular problem with sugar alcohols, at least not in the moderate amounts that I encounter them. This is another of those big YMMV things that bother some and not others, but it does seem to be a common enough problem that some producers put that warning on their labels (I don't know if they are just being nice, or if there is some regulatory threshold above which they have to label it.)

As with many things in life and with our sleeve, it's something that you just have to try and see how you react. One should, however, heed the warnings of others that it may be a problem so best to try these things first at home and not out in public!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics