TURMERIC CURCUMIN as NSAID replacement?

Billy D.
on 10/12/15 5:09 pm

I have arthritis and before the surgery was on NSAID therapy for pain but I had tried the Turmeric Curcumin supplement and was surprised at how well it worked, it also helped with heartburn. I will soon need something for the joint pain and am adding collagen to everything I am drinking and using Salonpas patches but need something more. I don't see any downsides to it....has anyone taken it after their surgery? I don't want the opiate stuff they prescribed it makes me feel weird and it constipates you too.

happyteacher
on 10/12/15 5:39 pm

I literally just bought this from Sams yesterday, and took it today for the first time. I am happy to read that it seems to help for you, as this is an identical reason why I started (reduce inflamation, can't take nsaids due to acid). How long did it take for you to notice a difference, and are you taking 1 or 2 capsules a day?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Billy D.
on 10/12/15 6:12 pm

I am going to start now again. I took it before surgery and I noticed the gastro effects right away...no heartburn. It took about 5 or 6 days and I knew it worked for me. I stopped my NSAID medications 3 months prior to surgery and used that every day. I took 3 a day because I am, or was 300 lbs. I guess 2 would be fine, there really isn't any side effects to turmeric, if you like Indian curry there is a ton of it in many dishes. The brand I use is Health Tech but I think any standardized formula will work. Here is a review of the brand I take. https://2shy2blog.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/health-tech-turme ric-curcumin-with-bioperine-review/

sds0029
on 10/13/15 3:07 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Thank you for your post. I'm not a big Tylenol fan so I like this alternative

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/13/15 3:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Billy D.
on 10/13/15 3:46 pm

The Chinese have been using it for 1000's of years as have the Indians. Do you think that Big Pharma is going to pay money here to do Clinical trial studies on people...not unless they make a profit on it and this is already available so they couldn't patent it. It works for me and many others so why wait? Preliminary findings from animal and other laboratory studies suggest it may have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antioxidant properties, but these findings have not been confirmed in people. I just think of it as a food supplement like ginger, rosemary etc. They all have their supporters too. If people waited for science to tell them everything they would never have discovered many of the things we know work today. I even tried the Homeopathic stuff (Arnica)....that did nothing and people swear by it and there are actual studies that show it does nothing., yet it fly's off the shelves. So either it is all in our heads or there is something to it..I don't know?

happyteacher
on 10/13/15 4:38 pm

Thank you for posting the article- it was an interesting read for sure! I am going to do my own little study and try it for a couple weeks and see where it leads me. I do think the smidge of research they did have in that article is a good start and mildly suggests that there *may* be some benefit. I sure hope they do some proper research on it though. It is crazy how the Internet will spread the same few sentences of someone's opinion, spin off into a gazillion articles and blog posts, and suddenly it is no longer an opinion and commonly accepted. I hope this is not the case with tumeric, but time will tell!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/14/15 10:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, I do get the impression that the early research has helped them figure out what direction to go in with additional studies. Yay science!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics