Can you/should you eat...

JoeyJo
on 10/10/15 12:52 pm, edited 10/10/15 12:57 pm - NJ

For lunch, I ate two extra large eggs with almost a whole slice of whole grain white toast. I let myself get too hungry, but still! I never even finish both eggs. I was not forcing it and I ate slowly but maybe faster than usual. It probably all fit because I ate faster than normally. I am not uncomfortable, have no runny nose, no hiccups...weird.

I know that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

How much can you eat without being uncomfortable?

LynnAlex
on 10/10/15 1:03 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

You are very close to goal. I don't see a problem. What you want to control is impulse eating. So, if you plan carbs, 1x per day, or 1x per meal, and stay in control, you are fine. You have to work with your body and see what you can handle. I would probably use a bread like Ezekial, or a low carb, or only 1/2 piece, but it is your life to manage.

I can't have have SF popsicles or fudgicles or nuts in the house. I am only 2 months post opt. They are trigger foods, or foods I can't control portion size. I have had a tablespoon of rice or mashed potatoes, or fruit about twice a week. I try not to eat carbs daily or weekly, but if I have a big exercise day, I'll grab a fruit.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

JoeyJo
on 10/10/15 1:31 pm - NJ

I allow myself off plan stuff like toast on weekends ONLY unless it's a special occasion and deemed "worth it". If I crave it during the week, I make myself to wait till the weekend. Usually I don't think it's worth it anymore by the weekend.

I had an episode after eating too many no sugar added fudgsicles a few months after surgery. I didn't think I'd ever eat them again. I learned moderation with them the hard way.

happyteacher
on 10/10/15 5:37 pm

Different amounts on different days, and totally dependent on what I am eating. I have been in a stint lately where my restriction is crazy strong, so portion sizes of protein forward meals are very small. If I am having issues with going carb crazy then I can eat a lot, especially if it is 3 days or more of it.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

KathyA999
on 10/10/15 6:20 pm

Congratulations on your success so far! While I was in the WL phase there were a couple periods when I experimented with eating carbs, and even though the total calorie count was within plan, my WL stopped, both times. It was an eye opening experience and taught me a lot about my body's tolerance for carbs, which is very low.

I doubt if you've done any damage, LOL, but as you said, just because you can doesn't mean you should. As you know, it's all about two factors - WHAT we eat and HOW MUCH we eat. The first is totally within our control, the second is controlled by our sleeve, and capacity will increase a bit the further out you get. Today I'm probably at about small-normal. No civilian eating companion, if they didn't know already, would guess I had WLS. I'd say you're probably at the first point of slightly increased capacity. It'll continue the longer out you get, a bit, although eating dense protein first at every meal will be a great tool to keep your restriction working.

Have to say, at five years out I almost never eat more than a bite or two off-plan these days, as far as WHAT I eat. Because my capacity has increased (the HOW MUCH I eat part), if I have much in the way of extra carbs it would be a disaster. I gave away my toaster a few years ago, and have no bread, crackers, rice, potatoes, chips, cereal, yadda yadda, in the house. And of course no sweets, except I do enjoy a little bit of 72% cacao chocolate from Trader Joe's every so often.

Something I remember from Weigh****chers, or OA, or somewhere: HALT - Never let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. Conditions that can lead to unhappy food choices.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Minkey
on 10/10/15 8:14 pm

I'm about 9 weeks post op and find I can only eat about 4-5 teaspoons of food before my stomach gets a weird feeling. I'm still trying to figure out what it's saying to me. Unfortunately, I end up being starving an hour or two later. It's just a learning experience so far, and hopefully I'll figure it out soon. I'm down about 35 pounds since surgery. Hang in there!!

Most Active
Recent Topics