ER

Luisa728
on 10/14/15 10:59 am

ER Update: they did blood work & an X-ray & they found everything came back normal & there didn't seem to be anything wrong with my X-ray. I asked for a Ultrasound but she said it wouldn't help because of the placement of my pain. Whatever the hell that means? They sent me home with no answers as to why I'm in such intense pain on my right side. Looks like I'll have to deal with these pains like no one including my surgeon's staff have no answer to these pains! I'm so confused & frustrated I really don't know how to feel right now! I feel defeated! I did this surgery in the first place to have a healthier & happier life & right now I'm miserable! So guys no answers! Please keep the prayers coming though!!

rocky513
on 10/14/15 11:36 am - WI

You could have adhesions (scar tissue) That have adhered to your abdominal wall or organs. They don't show up on x-rays or CAT scans. The only way to know for sure is with exploratory surgery. I've had adhesion pain and it's awful. I have also had adhesions wrap around intestines and cause bowel obstructions (three times). Some people just seem to grow a lot of internal scar tissue with abdominal surgeries.

It could also be an internal hernia, many of which do not show up on x-rays or CAT scans.

Don't sit back and do nothing. Emergency rooms are NOT a good place to go for a diagnosis. Their job is to get an emergency stable until you can see a doctor. They found nothing that was life threatening, so they sent you home. They did the job they are supposed to do. You need to see your surgeon, or somebody in Internal Medicine. Your PCP could give you a referral. Don't be shy about mentioning these things, They often are completely off a doctor's radar screen.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Gwen M.
on 10/14/15 1:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Great advice, Rocky!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Luisa728
on 10/14/15 3:15 pm

I will make sure to make an emergency appointment with my surgeon & mention to them these issues. Because they say I'm fine but I'll make sure they know this is not a pain I can live with & they need to check thoroughly!

Billy D.
on 10/14/15 12:36 pm

Have you been given any pain meds? Are you having bowel movements? Does anything at all like your position make you feel better? Warm herbal tea? Hot or cold compress? I have pain still but it is tolerable and not in that area. Don't give up. I am all too familiar with pain and it isn't fun. But try not to get anxious and at least know that you have gone and seen the Dr and they didn't find anything bad. I am not a doctor but know that anxiety and not knowing can make you feel worse. Sorry I can't help much. Get to see your primary care doctor, maybe he can help with some pain meds. Hopefully he can get quick access to your ER reports. I am sure you will get through it. It it easier said than done but try not to dwell on it and keep busy. Good luck

Luisa728
on 10/14/15 3:22 pm

Thanks. They didn't give me any pain meds they said to just take Tylenol & try to get some rest. I haven't pooped in 3 days & the ER doctor gave me something to help move my bowels. Just took them to the pharmacy. I haven't tried herbal tea but I have tried ice & heating pad. The ice made the pain worse & the heating pad helped a little with the pain. When the sharp pains occur laying on my bed still seems to help but if I try moving it flares up the pain again. I am a little discouraged about the surgery because I'm running into so many complications but I know I will get through this! It's a process & this is just the way my specific body is handling everything. I hope they are just spasms that eventually (hopefully sooner than later) will stop! Thanks for the replying!!

Patti2015
on 10/17/15 3:13 pm
VSG on 10/12/15

Have you had your gall bladder removed? If not, it could be that a stone is moving and blocking the bile duct. It's very painful and can be life threatening.

ocean37
on 10/14/15 4:43 pm - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

Are you able to keep liquids down or are you vomiting? I went to my local ER 3 times .... 1st I was diagnosed with kidney infection, 2nd visit was pneumonia and 3rd was kidney infection again. I also had my 4 week check-up with surgeon and I mentioned that I was having pain and vomiting .... He thought it might have been my gallbladder. I finally went to my family dr and she made calls and got the ball rolling .... The next day I was given a CT Scan and a leak and an abcess showed it's ugly head. If you feel that something is wrong, DON'T give up!!!! Go back to the ER if you can't get right in to see your surgeon. If anything they should do an imaging scan. Good luck!

Leaky Sleeve Survivor - 2013/2014

Highest Weight - 370 lbs, Weight at Surgery - 333 lbs, Current Weight - 207lbs

Billy D.
on 10/14/15 5:44 pm

That sounds horrible. I see you are not that far from your goal weight! Good for you. Did they have to go back in or do they have some other way to stop the leak. Did that leak cause all those other problems or did it just make your immunity lower. I was never good at biology and can't imagine where the stomach contents leak into but it can't be good. Good luck on your goal!

ocean37
on 10/15/15 4:52 pm - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

Thanks :) My surgeon had to go back in and a JP Drain was put in for 4 months .... I couldn't eat or drink without vomiting so I had TPN feeding for awhile and then a feeding tube was put in for awhile .... Had other complications as well.

Leaky Sleeve Survivor - 2013/2014

Highest Weight - 370 lbs, Weight at Surgery - 333 lbs, Current Weight - 207lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics