VSG to RNY?

Jeni_In_Sarasota
on 10/11/15 3:10 am - Sarasota, FL

I had gotten a VSG in 2010 in Mexico. I lost a total of 75 lbs after about a year. I went from 330 to about 255. I never really felt sick, I got fuller a LITTLE faster and I hit the gym hardcore. Well in just over a year and a half after the weight loss I had gained all of the weight back. It's now 2015 and I am still right where I started in 2010. I feel like the biggest failure. I'm 6'1 and I need to loose at least 100 lbs. I'm saving money to get back to Mexico for an revision surgery to RNY. Does anyone have experience doing this? I'm terried I will be a failure again. Putting a surgery deposit down soon for March and just hope I'm making the right choice. Thanks!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/11/15 4:34 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Who was your surgeon? Are you going back to the same surgeon? Have you had scans done to see exactly what your stomach looks like now?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jeni_In_Sarasota
on 10/11/15 6:54 am - Sarasota, FL

No I haven't really had any testing done here at all due to lack of insurance. The doctor that performed my VSG was Dr. Ramos Kelly and the doctor I was going to have the RNY with is Dr. Fernando Garcia. I am just nervous I could fail again :(.

cappy11448
on 10/11/15 7:29 am

Do you have an idea of why you gained the weight back? Did you have good restriction? Did your appetite change? Did you have trouble sticking to the diet plan? Did you eat dense protein first, and avoid carbs? Did you start grazing?

Considering the cost of a second procedure, its worth thinking about these issues. If you are grazing, drinking liquids with your meal, not eating dense protein first, indulging in high carb foods, then another surgery isn't going to help. If you didn't get the restriction, then perhaps a second surgery would help.

I have a friend who had the RNY and gained all her weight back, too. When I asked her what happened, she told me she was under a lot of stress and didn't follow the program. She grazed and ate carbs, and drank liquids with her meals. She feels terrible about it.

I just don't want you to go thru another surgery if its not likely to help.

Best of luck

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/11/15 5:37 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You might want to get yourself checked out to see what's going on in there, like is there something physically wrong with your sleeve? Also you need a surgeon that specializes in revisions & I think going from the sleeve to an rny is pretty complicated, since you already have the sleeve why not go for the DS instead? The sleeve is just the first part of the DS anyway.

Really take a hard look at why you're going for a revision. If you've slipped up in your eating, don't beat yourself up about it or fear becoming a failure. Failure is when you've given up & it doesn't sound like you're doing that. If everything checks out medically, go back to a protein forward diet, track & measure everything, get all your vitamins & water in. Get support/therapy & get to the root of your eating issues.

Finally you may indeed need a revision, restriction only procedures aren't for everybody & you might need that extra boost, but rule everything else out first b4 plunking down more cash, & especially consider the post op requirements that a malabsorption procedure requires, i.e vitamins. Check out the revision forum, you might get more answers there.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics