NUTRITIONIST

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/15 1:52 pm

I am having a hard time finding a nutritionist that i can afford. My friend said for me to go to weigh****chers. Has anyone tried using them, if not any suggestions.

Thanks

Oneillch
on 10/2/15 4:16 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

WW leaders are not nutritionists and most likely are not very knowledgeable of what a person who's had WLS requires and as a diabetic, now in remission, I speak from personal experience.

if you are attending a support group, perhaps someone in your group may be able to steer you to someone. Or, what about contacting your surgeon & explaining your situation. They also may be able to give you a referral.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/15 12:43 pm

They referred me to their nutritionist but she is way to expensive for me. She cost 225.00 of one time fee and then have to pay for ever session. I did not ask how much per session since I find it ridiculous for the start up fee to get her.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/15 4:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Does your insurance cover work with a nutritionist? You can call the phone number on the back of your card and they can give you more information, and help you find someone who's in your network if so.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

psychoticparrot
on 10/3/15 10:22 am

While you're looking for an affordable nutritionist, you can buy one of the numerous, very inexpensive books dealing with post-bariatric-surgery nutrition. I believe the best one is "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A Practical Patient Guide To Help Maximize Your Weight Loss Results" by Dr. Duc Vuong.

Nutritionists vary wildly in their training and recommendations for bariatric patients. Some of their recommendations are, to my mind, ludicrous. I listen to my nutritionist, but I believe the book gives much better advice.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 10/3/15 11:18 am

Great advice above. Our community here can be a tremendous resource as well as far as guiding you on appropriate food choices. The only 1 thing the NUT really helped me to see is my eating pattern- not so much on developing nutritional knowledge so to speak. She interviewed me and I had to tell her my typical eating pattern of a day (not dieting, just typical). I never noticed befor that how incredibly consistent I was. Coffee and a light breakfast at 5:45, another light breakfast at 8, snack around 10, lunch 12:30, snack at 3, dinner at 5, and eat everything in sight until bed. I was coached to continue to eat at the same times, but obviously to adjust quantity and quality. She identified my typical favorite type foods and we substituted healthier choices. And the rampant grazing after dinner just had to be stopped. I ended up substituting exericise at that time period (back when I was able to) and it worked brilliantly as not only did I burn calories, couldn't eat during, but afterwards I am blessed to never want to eat post exercising.

You can do this without a NUT. Having one can help in unexpected ways though.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/15 12:37 pm

I wish that would be all i needed. I was informed by my dr before she will do the surgery that i have to see a nutritionist for 3 months. I am starting to feel I will never get it done now since I can not find one that is low enough to afford. :(

happyteacher
on 10/3/15 5:45 pm

Is there such a thing as going to a university and getting one that is working though school, but supervised? That can save a bundle- I know you can do it for dentistry and cosmotology. Not sure if this is a thing though. What about an online option- maybe you can be counseled via the Internet so you can widen you choices and possible get a better price?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Neesie57
on 10/4/15 2:04 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Dr. Vuong's books are easy to understand and well written. The book you recommended helps me to think about food differently. I love that he says, we should not be trying to get full, we should be a little hungry. Getting full was my old goal, getting hungry and satisfying that hunger without going overboard, is my new way of thinking.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

J Connel
on 10/3/15 5:01 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I would rely on WW. A plan that tells you that it's okay to eat as much fruit as you want without really "counting" the points, isn't a plan that works for most of us. I would call your insurance company to be sure you know what is covered and go from there. May employers also have a lot of wellness employees (depending on size anyway) that have dietician's on staff, etc. A lot of free resources can be leveraged that way - just a thought.

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics