Am I eating too much? =\

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/15 3:53 pm
VSG on 07/27/15

So, yesterday,I tried really hard to get all my water in and to eat FIVE times like my nutritionist says I'm supposed to. That seems like a lot to me, and I felt like I was eating all day long.

I set my reminder on my phone for ever 3 hours, and had a little something each time. I didn't feel like I was eating more than I could handle or anything, and I rarely feel any restriction, so I did what I was told. It just seems like a lot. =\

I read the 'whatcha eating today' post all the time, and I hardly ever see anyone who eats 5 times a day. lol

i'm just SO AFRAID that I am going to stretch out my little tummy, and be fat for forever. =\

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :)

Here's what I had...

B - 1/2 cup Scrambled Eggs w/ Ham & Cheese

S - 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese & 1/4 cup Diced Peaches (in juice)

L - 1/2 cup Tuna Salad

S - 2 pieces String Cheese

D - 2 oz. Chicken & 1/2 cup Broccoli w/ Cheese Sauce

....nom nom nom all day long! :P

MissNexxie
on 10/6/15 5:27 pm, edited 10/6/15 10:28 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I eat roughly 6x per day, usually 3-4 oz food (mostly protein) each time. In my case if I waited too long to eat (more than 2-3 hours) I'd get very dizzy and nauseated which is why I eat often. It can be a bit of a juggling act with liquids and food but it can be done.

Eta: I'm much further out than you so my capacity is bigger, plus, my body responded well to frequent eating. Your menu doesn't seem unreasonable tho I'd hesitate with fruit packed in juice. Lots of sugar. Fresh or frozen berries might be better.IMHO.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/15 6:13 pm

Hi,

I eat 5 times a day - sometimes 6. When I was 2 months out I ate 4 times per day plus at least one protein shake.

I do want to say, though, that I think your portions are too large for being two months out - or at least larger than I would eat at that stage. I'm almost 4 years out and eat 3 oz of meat, about 1/4 - 1/3 cup vegetable per meal (unless I'm having salad. I can eat about 3/4 to 1 cup of salad) and then about 2 TBS of a starch, if I'm having one at all.

I see that you're eating mostly soft foods and those types of foods do allow you to eat more by volume. You are far enough along that you could eat lean dense protein. The dense protein will close the pyloric valve and you'll begin to feel your restriction kick in.

Take or leave my comments. They are only meant to help.

diane S.
on 10/6/15 6:20 pm

nothing wrong with eating 5 times a day. my surgeon often recommends it. but this early it might be too much . check with your dietician. d

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/15 6:58 pm
VSG on 07/27/15

Thank you all for your help :)

I think for now, I will stick with only 4 times a day, make my portions a bit smaller, and get in more dense protein :D

It would really help if I had more restriction, but half the time, i'm just wingin' it, since I don't feel it. Some days I do, and know immediately when I am full, and some days i'm like... uhh... i could just keep going if i didn't stop myself! =\ grrr!

Anyways, thank you all so much! Very helpful :)

xx

Tracy D.
on 10/7/15 8:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm going to echo what Kairk said -- I ate 5-6 times per day and still do to keep my blood sugars level. However, at only 2 months post-op you are eating way more than I was...and I was ahead of the curve compared to most people on this site. Keep in mind that I didn't do more than 800 calories per day and kept my protein to 80 grams and carbs to under 40 per day. Here was a typical day for me:

B - 1 scrambled egg w/1 T. cheese

S - 1 string cheese

L - 2 oz. canned chicken w/some mayo

S - 1 greek yogurt

D - 2 oz. dense protein and a couple bites of veggies

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/15 9:24 am
VSG on 07/27/15

Thank you so much, Tracy! That is exactly what I needed. Sounds like my new meal plan :)

Thanks a bunch, and ty everyone for your input. :)

Tracy D.
on 10/7/15 1:04 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oh and I also started the day with a protein shake and was drinking a Zero Carb protein water each day too. Had to in the beginning to get enough protein.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/15 11:15 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I had RNY, but my meal plan is identical to my husband's, who had VSG. At 5 months out, I still eat 5-6 times a day, but not as much quantity as you seem to be getting (and I stick to 1000-1200 calories a day, quite a bit higher than most people's ~800 at this point). For example, breakfast for me on days I don't do protein shakes is usually one scrambled egg. A snack is usually 1/3c cottage cheese (plain), a 5.3 oz yogurt (sometimes with 2 TBSP of Grape Nuts if I want some crunch), or one cheese stick. Lunch and dinner are usually 2.5-3 oz. of meat.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/15 1:03 pm
VSG on 07/27/15

it worries me that i can eat so much and not feel the restriction or feel full. =\

I am going to reduce my portions, and just stick with that, even if i don't feel it.

Thankfully, the other day was pretty much the only day i at that much 5 times. lol

Thanks so much.

Most Active
Recent Topics