When did you tolerate raw veggies?

Sandra F.
on 9/30/15 5:57 am

I tried salads at about 2 months out with no issue.  I still eat one just about every day for lunch but I make sure to add some protein to it, like sliced chicken or turkey.  It shouldn't be a problem but everyone is different. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/15 8:51 am
RNY on 05/04/15

My husband and I had our surgeries around the same time (VSG for him, RNY for me). We were both cleared to try veggies at 6 weeks and tolerated everything we tried with no problem. A friend of mine had VSG in December though and still can't eat lettuce or celery. All you can do is try, preferably at home and without anything on your agenda for the day just in case.  

jamrodriguez
on 9/30/15 11:38 am

I don't know if a day without any agenda has ever existed for me, at least not in the last few years. LOL! But thank you. Maybe I'll try a salad for an early dinner so I can have the night to feel miserable if it happens.

Neesie57
on 9/30/15 2:08 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm not allowed to eat raw veggies or salads until 3 months out.  Right now I'm craving cooked veggies, like broccoli and cauliflower.  I get to start them next week.  Hallelujah!!!!!!!!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/15 3:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Having a salad for a meal may not be the best move, especially if you don't know how you'll react to it. I'd suggest doing your usual, presumably protein-forward meal, and then having one piece of lettuce to see if you react badly.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cardamom
on 9/30/15 5:02 pm

I am 2 1/2 months out and have been experimenting with veggies.  Started with peeled cucumbers with the seeds cut out, then some lettuce, then some heirloom cherry tomatoes (couldn't resist while they were in season).  Eventually I worked up the nerve for a salad.  Nothing fancy, and I know protein first, but it was such a healthy craving that i just had to indulge.  It was amazing!!!  after 2+ months of no salad, it certainly hit the spot.  Now if I have one, I'm sure to put seared tuna, or chicken with it (I tend to only put dressing on chicken as its still kind of uncomfortable for me to eat it with nothing on it.  I made sure to chew everything really really well too.  No croutons, though :)  

Pork and red meat were on my plan at 1 month out.  I tried all at that time - pork seemed harder to digest than beef.  (Pulled pork and pork tenderloin)  Hamburger was easy and the only steak I've really had was filet mignon (figured i can treat myself now since even a small fillet is more than a serving for us!).  I'm sure the fact that it was so tender really helped.  

Good luck and happy tasting! 

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

poplargreys
on 9/30/15 7:29 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am 7 months out and I still do not eat a lot of raw fibrous vegetables, and I haven't tried salad yet. I have no problem with stuff like tomatoes, avocado or bell peppers in very small portions, but raw broccoli, carrots and celery are not among the list of things I've added to my regular rotation. The bulk of my vegetable intake is made up of wilted greens and roasted vegetables, they are the easiest to tolerate and they reheat well. 

poplargreys
on 9/30/15 7:31 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

One thing I forgot - cucumbers are absolutely the worst for making me feel uncomfortably full, even one slice and I feel like an overfilled balloon for an hour even if I haven't eaten anything else. Pickles don't cause the same discomfort.

Most Active
Recent Topics