2 Burning question

Mary Gee
on 9/27/15 3:40 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Kyzze ~ Welcome Aboard!

Surgeons' plans vary - I have had coffee with cream all along with no issues.  As a matter of fact, every morning I have two cups of Protein Coffee (I brew my coffee, and on the side I mix 1/2 scoop of my protein powder [usually chocolate] with some 1/2&1/2 - then slowly add hot coffee to the mixture, to prevent clumping).  That way I get 20 grams of protein.  The protein powder has 120 calories/4 carbs/20 protein.

As far as not eating and drinking together, it's a habit you have to develop.  It's not easy, but there are a lot of new habits you will have to develop.  Weight Loss Surgery is not "the easy way out" .... to be successful, you have to pre-plan your menus, track it using myfitnesspal.com, weigh and measure everything you eat and drink, follow your surgeon's eating plan by meeting your food and liquid goals - part of your surgeon's program will most likely include appointment(s) with his nutritionist.

There will be challenges - but if your commit to it and follow your plan, you will be successful and say that having surgery was the best thing you could have done for yourself.  My life changed for the better 1,000% - I wish I could have done it sooner.

Keep reading every day to learn more about the challenges and rewards of having WLS!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

kyzze
on 9/27/15 4:03 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thank you! I like that idea of mixing coffee with the protein powder, I will definitely try that.

alouisa63
on 9/27/15 5:43 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Before surgery I drank copious amounts of coffee (about a pot a day).  My plan says only decaf for the first month or two so one day (about 6 weeks after surgery) I decided to try a small Tim Horton's decaf - as good as it tasted, by body did not like it.  I had an intestinal cramp that wouldn't let up and hurt like hell and was vomiting.  I can drink tea with no issues - but not coffee....yet :(    The Dr's office said to wait a bit and try again in a few weeks.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

SilverGirl2015
on 9/27/15 6:53 am

I still have my coffee every day!  I use 2% milk like I always have.  As far as eating and drinking at the same time, it is a little bit different but I'm getting used to it - it's just a habit really, that can change.

psychoticparrot
on 9/27/15 12:21 pm

I like my coffee black and unsweetened, but i don't think there's any harm in putting a little cream in it. The only problem is -- how much coffee do you drink everyday? If you're a coffee hound, those little dabs of cream will add up to a sizeable portion of your very limited post-op calories. The general rule is to avoid drinking your calories -- they slip right through the sleeve and can stop weight loss in its tracks. Sometimes weight gain can occur. It's just something to keep in mind when you make beverage decisions. Hence the ban on alcohol, sugared drinks, fruit juice, etc.

Second question -- The amount of food your sleeve will allow you to eat (assuming you're making good food choices) is so small that you won't need any liquids to "wa**** down." It's just a habit you'll have to develop if/when you get your sleeve. If you drink enough water between meals, you won't be thirsty at meals. And fresh vegetables and fruits are naturally juicy.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Oneillch
on 9/27/15 3:02 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

I usually have 2 cups of coffee a day. One before I leave for work (before my breakfast) and one around 10:30. At home, I have a tbls of sf ff non-dairy creamer & at work, I have a mini moo. Both have calories & carbs & I make sure to count each in mfp. 

When I started, my health orgaization's guidelines were no drinking 30 minutes before, during or 30 minutes after meals. It was tough, but I did it and after reading a piece on this site by Frisco (use the magnifying glass at the top of the pg to search it) about the Pyloric valve I understood why these restrictions are in place. My guidelines recently changed with regards to waiting 30 minutes before, so it's a little easier for me in the am & when we go out. I do miss not eating with meals, but. I also know that there just wouldn't be enough room for both & protein always takes priority.  

KathyA999
on 9/27/15 4:49 pm

I had read that I should eliminate caffeinated coffee for a few months after surgery, and in fact some people on here recommended doing that several weeks beforehand, so that you're not dealing with the headache that often comes with caffeine withdrawal.  I thought that was sensible, so that's what I did.  But eventually I did go back to "leaded" coffee, and I feel the same way you do - don't know what I'd do without it!  The withdrawal from coffee was do-able because I knew it was temporary.  I also drink mine black, but lightening it with cream should not be an issue.  I would advise avoiding those powdered creamers, though, it's Frankenfood IMO.

For many years before surgery I naturally didn't drink much of anything with my meals, so it wasn't difficult for me.  At five years out I still avoid drinking with meals - just makes me too uncomfortable, usually.  Every so often I've found I can drink a little wine with my dinner when I'm out.  I go out to dinner maybe once or twice a month, and I don't drink wine every time, so...yeah...not a problem, LOL

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

FuturePinUp
on 9/27/15 7:41 pm

I drink coffee daily. Didn't have to give it up on my pre-op plan, and no restriction against it post-op. At the start, I also used it as a great opportunity to get in my protein, by adding in unflavored protein powder to cold brew and my milk. Now, I don't need to supplement protein anymore.

As far as eating and drinking, you can drink before you eat - if it doesn't bother you - but not after for at least 30 minutes. This was a really hard thing for me to learn. When I used to eat before, I would literally take a sip of water after every single bite of food I put in my mouth. Now, I either make sure to not have a glass near me as soon as I start eating. If I could do it, I know you can too. It helps to think about this as just one new habit to ensure success after the surgery.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

kyzze
on 9/28/15 12:26 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thanks. I think not eating and drinking is going to be a big obstacle. I think I will start practicing that now so I can get used to it.

docbad32
on 9/28/15 6:53 am

I drink a cup every morning.  I also have a premier protein RTD shake for breakfast.  1/4 cup goes into the coffee as creamer, the rest is breakfast. 

Also, like others said, not drinking during meals is a lot easier after surgery.  The hardest part is having to explain to every waiter or waitress "yes, I'm sure I don't want anything.  Yes, that includes water."  It really freaks them out to not give you something to drink.

VSG:  3/12/15

Most Active
Recent Topics