Does anyone else find this annoying?

psychoticparrot
on 9/26/15 1:00 pm

This is a very minor criticism of what is just about the best forum of any kind I've ever seen. Everyone here is polite, well-informed, very literate, and compassionate. That's why the four-letter-word delete function seems to me to be a bit extraneous. I'm talking about the **** that automatically deletes any word or pieces of words that spell something that is less that politically correct. Examples:

"Today I had one lite hot dog and 2 oz of a white bean salad I made.... and didn't fini**** all." (unnecessary ****ing and confusing to the reader, who must make sense of what the original words were.)

"… but one mus****ch for hidden sugars there." (am I the only one who tries to figure out what the deleted word is?)

"… and gained 60 pounds with it****il it was taken out ..." (?????)

"Congratulations! Fantastic wor****ep it up …" (another ??????)

"They have a vow of chastity - whi*****ludes many ..." (it took me a minute, but I finally figured it out; in the meanwhile, I've lost the flow of the post)

"It is bat**** crazy how even seemingly healthy choices ..." (good catch, but it's equally possible the poster edited it him/herself)

I'm all for eliminating profanity and ethnic slurs online, but this seems like overkill to me. I spend more time than I want figuring out what the **** word is (not always possible), when what I'd like to do is concentrate on what the poster is saying. In fact, it draws more attention to potential profanity that we would otherwise not notice. I wouldn't mind seeing this feature eliminated. Posters tend to report anything to the mods that's malicious, and the mods are good at keeping the site well groomed. But perhaps the **** function is a canned feature that can't be eliminated.

Please don't delete me for this post! It's a very minor irritation in an otherwise great forum.

Just sayin' is all.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Maria27
on 9/26/15 1:34 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I found it annoying too until I turned it off. Go to settings, message board, and click the bubble to allow adult content.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

psychoticparrot
on 9/26/15 6:36 pm

Thank you! I didn't know the option was there. I take back everything I said about the ****ing delete mode. 

psychoticparrot

Mary Gee
on 9/26/15 5:13 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Th**k Y*u!  

Yo**re Wel***e!    

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/15 5:37 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Too funny. This would make me nuts until I figured out how to turn the feature off. 

I would spend time deciphering it, knowing what was ******** out was clearly not profanity and wonder why the heck it was in ******

glad I'm not the only one who would lose sight of the thread because of decoding the **** Lol

SilverGirl2015
on 9/26/15 5:48 pm

Ahhh.  New here, and I wondered what that was all about.   Yeah, bit ridiculous!  

Most Active
Recent Topics