VSG and maybe now a RE SLEEVE

frisco
on 9/25/15 7:45 pm

Bummer you have to go through this and yes the riff raff loves to gang up telling you that you are a F-up and just eat less thinking that all VSG's are the same and sleeve size and capacity does not matter.

The VSG is a much more complicated surgery to do right than most people think. It cracks me up when you see people refer to VSG surgeons as "Cutters". But, that said there are cutters out there that give the VSG surgery type a bad rap.

Along with small capacity, the shape needs to be correct to promote proper food flow. The simplified example is a banana, narrow at the top and bottom. Two common mistakes surgeons make is to narrow in the middle or to big up top. These are two major reasons why lots of people end up with severe reflux after VSG. Narrow in the middle and/or large at the top tends to push food/acids back up.

There is a lot of surgical work to get the stomach prepped and separated before the stapler even goes in and has any chance of making a proper shaped sleeve. My guess is that Almanza did not do the prep, as it takes time and skill.

If your set on going back to Mexico, I would send your films and files to Dr. Alvarez and get a consult with him. This is no time to take any chances as re-sleeve and WLS revisions in general have a higher complication rate.

Hope this helps....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/26/15 8:21 am

Riff raff? Oh, dear heavens, the hoi polloi is cluttering up the board again?

The OP did have a ****ty surgeon, but who are you to call people riff raff?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/26/15 8:17 am

Why not directly address the person? If someone told me I was full of **** and I wasn't, I would take it up with the person who said it.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

andreasf85
on 9/27/15 11:56 pm

I follow a girl on Instagram who was left with a nasty leak from her VSG surgery with Dr. Almanza- it turns out they have him doing up to ten surgeries per day! He really should be out of business, I believe some people have died.

This very brave young lady was told that the Mexican government can not start building a file against Almanza unless somebody went in person to file an official complaint, so that is exactly what she did! Now apparently since she (and two others) opened the case, other complainants can send theirs in without having to physically go to Mexico. I'm not sure what the appropriate agency is, but you should let the Mexican government know what Almanza did to you so they can get this quack away from any more patients.

FuturePinUp
on 9/28/15 11:24 am

Wow! I am SO sorry you had to go through this!! I just did a quick google search for "dr. almanza weight loss surgery" and the first two links were to investigative reports about his botched work. Other results, pages are just as horrifying. I really hope you are not planning on having him do the revision, based on these reports, and of course your own experience!

And also, yes, some people on here can afford to be a little nicer and not assume the role of judge, juror, and executioner, but - as someone else pointed out - 93% of the people on here are awesome, inspiring, caring, and knowledgeable. Don't let those few bad apples spoil the whole tree. 

Best of luck to you!! Let us know what happens!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics