sleeve vs gastric bypass

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/26/15 3:23 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I chose the vsg over the rny I felt that I didn't need the extra boost the malabsorption would give me plus I wasn't crazy about the malabsorption of nutrients for life & the rerouting of my intestines. I'm happy with my choice.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Hidingaway
on 9/26/15 8:40 am

Thanks I appreciate your message. Did your Dr chose for you or was it your choice? I don't go to Dr till Oct 5 (referral) and am trying to be as educated as I can.

Id like to lose weight at a more slower rate and was wondering if the sleeve helps with that. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/26/15 1:22 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I chose the surgery I wanted. My Dr. just gave me the facts of each surgery & let me decide what was best. I had a very mild case of Gerd & was most likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was fixed during surgery, the only other medical issue that I had was diabetes & that has greatly improved since surgery & am almost off all medication associated with that.

I think choosing for yourself rather than having the Dr choose for you is the best thing, in my opinion, after all you have to live with it, not him, but he should give you as much info as possible & to give you the pros & cons with each one & to especially relate it to any medical issues you might have. For instance if you have severe gerd, the rny would be a better choice rather than the vsg/ds.

As far as the rate of weight loss, I've heard that the vsg is "the tortoise" of weight loss compared to "the hare" of the rny & the ds. I think the rate really is determined by you & how your body chooses to drop the weight.

For me, I think I needed the learning curve that I think the vsg provides. I guess I'm a little slow when it comes to figuring out what my body needs versus wants, lol, but in the end I figure this is for life, so going slower is ok by me as long as I get there & keep it off.

I think I might've ridden along the rny in my first year & not make enough changes that I needed to do to make the surgery successful. I think the rny in the beginning is a little more forgiving during the first 12-18 months, so you can screw up more & still lose weight only for it to come around & bite you in the ass later if you didn't do what you were supposed to do, i.e make lifestyle changes. Mind you there is a "honeymoon period", with every wls in which you can maximize weight loss anyway, but the further out you get, the harder it can be, but in the end its all up to you anyway.

Sorry for the ramble, I never did seem able to keep it short & sweet. LOL

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Hidingaway
on 9/26/15 2:38 pm

I appreciate rambles lol, it's how I learn, plus I want everyone opinion from both sides. 

KayDeeCee
on 9/26/15 9:05 am
VSG on 01/26/15

I chose the Sleeve over RNY because I didn't want any rerouting of my intestines. My Surgeon also recommended it for me, though she does both surgeries. At my 6-month post-op, all of my bad numbers (cholesterol, diabetic numbers) had dropped significantly and all of my Vitamin Levels are great. I am close to 8 monts post-op now, I have lost 85 pounds, can exercise and move like I haven't been able to in years, and I feel 20 years younger. The sleeve was the right decision for me. Best to you. Kay :-)

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Hidingaway
on 9/26/15 9:20 am

Wow how great for you! Congrats on your weight loss, a new lease on life for you ;)))))

i also don't like the idea of my intestines being rerouted, all the complications from GBS scare me. I'd also like to lose weight at a slower rate, does the sleeve help with this? Are you out of work less time? How big is the pouch? I'd like to live a fairly normal life afterward with just smaller portions of food, the GBS seems so drastic.

thanks again

KayDeeCee
on 9/28/15 5:46 pm
VSG on 01/26/15

I don't feel that my weight loss has been slow However, I did not tell anyone outside my husband and daughter  that I had VSG and no one has commented on my "quick" weight loss, and I am happy about that. I didn't want to become an object of everyone's attention. My weight loss has slowed down the last 3 months, but it is still going down, so I am very happy with my progress. You can see my monthly statistics in my signature line. I hope this helps. :-) Kay

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

mickeymantle
on 9/26/15 9:51 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you lose weight a little slower but the sleeve works forever

if you don't have to lift more than 10 lbs at work , 2 weeks off is recommended, some people have gone back to work after 1 week but it is hard you will be tired and sore and may have diarrhea( common on the liquid diet )   you will not be able to lift more than 10lb for 6 weeks this can be a problem for people with very young children

if you follow the plan you will lose with the vsg , if you don't none of the wls will work

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Eggface
on 9/26/15 8:05 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Pretty good breakdown of the currently approved weight loss methods: http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/brochures -and-guides/understanding-your-weight-loss-options-brochure/ weight-loss-surgery-morbid-obesity with pics and pros/cons. Hope it helps in your decision making.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Hidingaway
on 9/27/15 8:47 am

THankyou!!

Most Active
Recent Topics