medications

KansasPrincess
on 9/21/15 1:09 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i have frequent headaches will i be able to take the naproxen for them ever again? and what types of vitamins do we need to take post op?

Tracy D.
on 9/21/15 1:21 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The current recommendations are absolutely no NSAIDS ever again.  You'll have to take Tylenol for your headaches.  

As for vitamins, it all depends - most VSGers will need a multi-vit/mineral for life and many have to take addition B12.  I don't need to do that as my levels are fine without it.  I basically take the same vitamins/supplements now that I took prior to surgery: multi-vit/mineral; calcium; fish oil; Vit D. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

KansasPrincess
on 9/21/15 1:58 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

what if tyenol in the passed doesnt do much of anything for my headaches... they have gotten to the point where percocet adn toradol doesnt touch them, and off to the e.r. i go. normally its buatlbital/apap/caff cap and naproxen combo. to ease them if i catch it early.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/21/15 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Do you have them often? You may want to look into a non-NSAID migraine-specific medication like Imitrex. Some anticonvulsant medications, like Topamax, are used for headaches as well, and those are fine after surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KansasPrincess
on 9/21/15 2:28 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i used to have them dialy now its maybe once or twice a week was told that since im still pre op that i can continue what im using. but will deffinitely talk to dr about the ones you mentioned abouve and thank for those.

HealthyBee
on 9/21/15 3:01 pm
VSG on 08/03/15

I just spoke with my NP about pain control last week. Since my surgery I've been experiencing in unbearably horrible cramping with menstruation. Interestingly, my NP said I could take Ibuprophen (NSAID) to control the pain. She said just to make sure I have some food in my sleeve before I take it. 

Tracy D.
on 9/22/15 12:55 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Please don't do this without talking to someone who has years of experience with post-VSG patients.  Menstrual cramps are monthly - do you plan to take IB monthly?  Not a wise plan.

Even if you have food in your sleeve you are in serious danger of causing ulcers in a very, very tiny sleeve.  Ulcers are dangerous and a bleeding one can cause death.  

Taking NSAIDs against ASMBS is playing with fire. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 9/21/15 8:55 pm

I take half of a 75mg tablet of amitriptyline every night to prevent migraines. Maybe that would work for you?

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

lking
on 9/21/15 3:49 pm, edited 9/21/15 4:03 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

You didn't say if your headaches are migraine, if so, there are alternative medications.  My husband suffered for years with almost daily migraines.  The medication that gave him rapid relief was Migranal Nasal Spray (very expensive) and later its generic, Dihydroergotomine Mesylate Spray (less expensive).  Both of these are not NSAIDs.  

When he went on Medicare, due the cost of the med (still high), I researched for a different migraine med for him and then talked with our doctor about my findings.  BINGO...I found a med that works, is fast acting, and much cheaper...Rizatriptan (pill).  It also has an oral disintegrating form available but it wasn't quite as fast acting for him. Rizatriptan is not a NSAID.

FYI, since he switched to Rizatriptan now he rarely gets a migraine.  The frequency of his headaches lessened each time he would take take a pill.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

KansasPrincess
on 9/22/15 8:48 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i rarely get migraines maybe every 2-3 months but mainly a daily headache. i will admit since i have started my pre op diet they have gotten less painful. and i can go every 2-3 days w/o one but when i do get them i need it to go away asap as i work in a call center on a phone 7-9 hrs per day.

Most Active
Recent Topics