A quality blender is worth the investment...

happyteacher
on 9/20/15 3:22 pm

If you are new to the process I wish I would have known in the beginning what I know now about blenders. Please know up front that I have serious texture issues- when making a smoothie or protein shake, if something is big enough to crunch in your teeth it is a total fail for me. I am years into it, and recently have started having stomach issues making my blender that much more important. I just bought a second one for work- yea, I use it that much.

Here is my progression on blenders and results (may be out of order of purchase, it has been a while). 

Ninja (the nicer version): A huge upgrade over the $30 Oster typical type, but did not get the texture down. No option to make soup.

Oster- individual type (like a Nutribullet). Texture issues again. Cheap price, not worth it.

Vitamix- a super old model. Bought it used for $100, better than the above options and convinced me to just buy a new one.

Vitamix- bought a refurbished model from their website, free shipping. Variable speed is the only option on it, but paid less than $300. You can get a good deal at either Sams or Costco around the holidays. LOVE it! I keep it on the counter and it isused multiple times per day. I make a veggie smoothie for breakfast (all green leafy veggies, celery, cucumber, a small amount of tomotoe, and the juice from half a lemon, stevia, and ice.) Beautiful and I get all the veggies in for the day, and it stays with me well surprisingly. Protein shakes mixed with ice are the bomb. I also use it a lot for soup. Simple whole food recipes that are crazy fast to do and no crap in it that you don't want. I make ice cream using ff greekyogurt and strawberries, so it is not bad for you. I also use it to grind coffee, make flour, make powdered sugar, peanut butter, etc. Not a big fan of using it for bread dough, but crepe dough or something like that it is good. I also use it to chop veggies (food processor). 

Blendtec- right now Costco has them on sale. It is cheaper than what I was able to get another Vitamix for (about $50), and given it was for work it was worth the savings. This one has preset buttons- a nice option for work given I walk away from it when people need me. Blades *supposedly" are safer for kids than the Vitamix. Not that I plan on my kids using it, but given it is in my room for sure a consideration. The Ninja, on the other hand, will sever pinky fingers. I have not used it yet, but will start another thread comparing the Vitamix to the Blendtec.

Anyway, IMHO just go with a Vitamix. You don't have to buy the $600 model... it is the same motor and canister than the base model. You are paying for all the preset programs, and it is not a need for sure. 

Happy blending!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

SouthernmostStar
on 9/20/15 5:53 pm
VSG on 01/25/12

I completely agree with you about investing in a good blender!  I'm on my third blender - having started with something inexpensive, then moved to a KitchenAid.  I broke/burned that one out.  I now have a super duper Ninja that I got on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  On sale and then had an extra 20% off coupon.  I like it because it has multiple bowls, plus the single serve option, too.  

I don't have quite the same issues with texture that you describe, but I know that there is also another kitchen device that I've used a lot, particularly for soups.  It's a stick blender.  Wasn't all that expensive and it's immersible, so if I'm cooking up veggies that I then want to make into a puree or soup, this little thing does the trick!

One other little device I have because it was a Christmas gift from a nephew.  It's called a Yonana!  Basically, one stuffs frozen fruit into it and it grinds it up and puts out a frozen treat -- very creamy without actually having cream, milk, fat, etc.  Reading your post inspired me with the idea that I could take the frozen creamy stuff, mix it with some fat free Greek yogurt for protein and refreeze.  I'll have to try it.  Thanks!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

happyteacher
on 9/21/15 3:34 pm

I have the stick blender (immersion blender) and Yonana too- because I seriously have kitchen gadget disease!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/15 5:41 am

I am with you on that. I had most of them. 

Finally settled on magic bullet for small things and vitamix for a major stuff.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 9/21/15 8:37 am, edited 9/21/15 8:38 am

Used the Blendtec at work today for the first time. Overall, a solid purchase. I like the smoothie texture only slightly better with the Vitamix, but loved the preset program it offered due to the constant interupptions. No joke, before school teachers line up in my classroom for help with stuff so very helpful. Easy cleanup, did a great job with the ice in the smoothie and pulvarized the veggies enough so no chewable parts. Blades are for sure safer around kiddos than the Vitamix. For 99% of the folks out there this would work great for them, and you can save money compared to the Vitamix. Construction is a lighter build than the Vitamix, so not so sure about durability- but it comes with an 8 year warrenty so no issues. Still love my Vitamix a tad more though!

Most Active
Recent Topics