VSG and Rheumatoid Arthritis

MemeJ2015
on 9/20/15 1:44 pm
VSG on 08/27/15

I'm almost 4 weeks post op. At first In was really happy about my decision, now I am somewhat regretful. I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm in a full on flare with my RA. Usually I can go prednisone and be ok but of course no steroids for me. Are there any others with RA? How did you cope?

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/15 1:54 pm

Why no steroids? I never heard people with VSG can't take steroids. 

I have RNY, and though steroids can cause problems, there are still much better than NSAIDs for me.. .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MemeJ2015
on 9/20/15 1:58 pm
VSG on 08/27/15

You take steroids? Maybe I need to discuss with my Rheumatologist..

Donna L.
on 9/20/15 2:36 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've been getting steroid shots but no prednisone.  I am trying to avoid oral steroids because of issues with weight loss.  I also had to go off my meloxicam (it's a non-narcotic NSAID) but may be able to go on that after six months.  

I'd think the biggest problem with steroids would be the weight gain they cause.  I'd call your surgeon and ask inquire versus the rheumatologist only.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

MemeJ2015
on 9/20/15 2:39 pm
VSG on 08/27/15

The surgeon says celebres but that doesn't help with flares. Right now I'm literally hurting from then top of my head to the soles of my feet. I'm hardly able to take a step so exercising is out of the question.

Donna L.
on 9/20/15 5:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yeah :(  I hope that you feel better soon, and they are able to help you ASAP

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

White Dove
on 9/20/15 2:47 pm - Warren, OH

I get cortisone shots and prednisone.  There is no reason not to.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

happyteacher
on 9/20/15 3:26 pm

I took prednisone during my weight loss phase without issue. Can't remember the dosage, and it was for cancer related issues so a little different than your situation. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Amber2280
on 9/20/15 3:52 pm

I dont have surgery until Nov, but this is truly my biggest fear! I have RA too and have been told by my surgeon that I will have to be off the steroids for a month before and for 3 months after due to the fact that steroids inhibit your immune system.  The issue is not to do with weight gain it is because the mechanism of action of the steroids is to inhibit the flare up of the immune system which puts you at a higher risk for infection. 

I have thought alot about this and am very worried for myseld when the time comes....I think if I were you, I would call the surgeon and explain the situation. Ask him if he will allow you to start taking your Prednisone again. At 4 weeks post-op you are probably better off starting them again and being relieved of the pain than you would be suffering on. 

Hugs and well wishes from a fellow RA'er! 

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

MemeJ2015
on 9/20/15 3:55 pm
VSG on 08/27/15

Thanks Amber, I will be making calls tomorrow because I am miserable.

Most Active
Recent Topics