Need Bra Advice

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/15 4:03 pm

Warning to the guys -- Depending on your inclination, you'll find this post either repugnant, laughable, or strangely titillating (pun intended). If you read any further, remember, you've been warned! 

A few other posters have reported similar problems in the past -- What to do with shrunken boobs that won't fit into bra cups properly anymore? Loss of boob mass (thank you, Gwen!) does not result in a perkier boob, unfortunately. They're more like nearly deflated water balloons.

This squishy texture has created problems for me, and no doubt, to other women who have lost a lot of weight. Even with a properly sized bra, the boobs settle into the bottom half of the cups, causing the top of the cup to pucker -- no snug fitting tops for me!

I've suggested, jokingly, that women with our problem try filling bra cups using the self-serve soft ice-cream method -- kinda swirling them in from above. This morning I tried the fold-'em-in-half method. I literally folded the boob in half horizontally and upward and fit it into the cup. This worked great! For about 1 minute. As soon as I began moving around, the girls settled into their usual deflated position.

When I told my husband about this problem, he suggested a sports bra. I told him that more support was needed, not less. BTW, I have sports bras, and indeed, they do nothing to alleviate the problem.

So, ladies, what are your suggestions/solutions to this droopy problem? I hesitate to spend any money on this essential and expensive foundation garment unless I have some idea of what might work. Underwire bras? I think the wires poking annoyingly into the boobs would be even worse than when they were at full size. But maybe there's a brand that doesn't poke? Padded bras? I could use some padding on the upper half of the cups to eliminate the folds, but really don't need it on the bottom.

Short of plastic surgery, which I want to avoid if at all possible, what can you recommend? My girls are anxious to hear your advice. 

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Oneillch
on 9/18/15 4:39 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Perhaps try a push-up. The padding is on the bottom, so the girls have a shelf to lay on & viola, cleavage! 

Gwen M.
on 9/18/15 4:49 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I highly recommend going to a speciality lingerie store!  They're great at dealing with weird issues like this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Bufflehead
on 9/18/15 5:08 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Agree with Gwen's suggestion about a lingerie specialty store. If you are not so inclined, here are two bras I have found that work really well for me and my foldable boobs. They are both inexpensive, wirefree, and the first one is padded enough that you can wear a thin tee shirt and not worry about any sort of headlight effect (if that is a concern of yours).

Playtex Perfectly Smooth Wirefree Bra

Bali Women's Double Support Minimizer Bra

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/15 5:54 pm

Thanks, Bufflehead. I checked out the two bras you recommended. They don't come in my size, at least not yet. I'll put your post in my permanent file, though, for when I lose enough weight to try them out.

psychoticparrot

Bufflehead
on 9/19/15 2:07 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

ah, gotcha. Here is a link to the bra I used most when I was in larger sizes. I found that "minimizer" style bras worked -- and continue to work -- well for me. I guess because they are designed to take a lot of boob mass and stuff it into a small space and keep it in place. Anyway, I was very appreciative that these bras are under $10, since I was dropping bra sizes very quickly and had to keep replacing them!

Just My Size Women's Comfort Strap Minimizer Bra

psychoticparrot
on 9/19/15 5:42 am

Just now ordered one in my size. Thanks!

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot
on 9/21/15 8:33 pm

My bra arrived today, and it does everything you said it would. I'm going to order 4 more. Thank you!!

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot
on 9/21/15 1:35 pm, edited 9/21/15 1:35 pm

Double post. Sorry!

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/15 5:31 pm

A lingerie specialty store? I didn't know such things existed! Are there any online? Or must one go in person to get a customized fit?

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics