Post-Op changes in food

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 12:41 pm

Oh nooo!! This reply scares me. I don't want to throw up! :( but I guess that's what I signed up for. It all comes with the territory! :( I hope you don't get sick anymore cuz I bet that sucked but that's how we learn what we can & cannot tolerate anymore. Good luck with the rest of your journey. :)

Best,

Luisa

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/15/15 12:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

There is nothing I can't eat.  The difference is in what I choose to eat now.  It seems that people who have had the RNY have more severe reactions to certain foods than those of us with the VSG.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

FuturePinUp
on 9/15/15 12:47 pm

Exactly this! I haven't vomited once, gotten foamies, or had any other side effects from food since surgery...but I also haven't eaten anything off-plan so I can't comment on what would happen if I had a piece of cake. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 6:35 pm

Good point. Lol

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 6:34 pm

Gotcha. Thankfully I am getting the sleeve so I'm hoping I can still enjoy things like avocados, guacamole, fruits like mangos which I love & yogurt along other things. You are very right that goes across the board for any surgery type; the difference between what you can & cannot eat anymore is what you chose to put in your body from this point forward. Our bodies are going through a shock & basically we are retraining our bodies & our organs to get used to a healthier lifestyle. If we return to unhealthy foods our surgeries are pointless! Thank you for your feedback. :)

Cardamom
on 9/15/15 9:42 pm

I was cleared for pureed food at a week out.  Ate a lot of tuna with avocado (instead of mayo).  At about 5 or 6 weeks out enjoyed some tuna ceviche which had mangos in it.  Didn't have more than a few bits with mangos (tried to focus on protein first), but it was quite refreshing.  Other than that, I really don't eat fruit, nor do i crave it.  I was making a fruit salad for a party and popped a piece of watermelon in my mouth out of habit and then spit it out.  Tasted ridiculously sweet to me - which i used to love, which is such a weird, but good feeling!

Luisa728
on 9/16/15 7:08 am

I hope I'm the same way. I love everything you just named! Thanks for replying & telling me your experiences it helps me prepare myself for my own journey. ;) 

piscesladee
on 9/15/15 1:39 pm

I am only 12 days post op so I cannot comment too much. I am still in the clear liquid stage. Thursday I will advance to full liquids for two weeks. The only thing I noticed is prior to surgery I taste tested some clear protein drinks. I did not like the cocotein water at all and there was some fruit flavored protein water at Jewel that I liked. Now post op I hate the fruit flavored protein water. I tried the cocotein water again and now I like it. I have been drinking it every morning now. I can tell you this much after this stage is over I don't think I will ever eat broth or jello again. Good luck in your journey.

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 6:38 pm

This is a testament to how much our bodies & our taste buds change during this journey! Thank you for your reply! 

toddwho23
on 9/15/15 1:55 pm

I can eat just about anything except raw broccoli, apples, and dry chicken. However, the biggest change for me was the difference in the things I enjoy. Before surgery I would eat eggs, cucumber, or pickles daily. Sometimes all three in a day. Now, I can tolerate a boiled egg once in a blue moon, but cooked any other way makes me gag. I have no desire to eat a pickle or cucumber, and will find myself removing them if they're included in salads or other dishes. This makes tuna salad a little hard, but I've learned to adapt.

I was a salt junkie and would take a bag of chips over sweets any day. That has changed and I find myself really wanting anything with a peanut butter base. Thankfully, Quest chocolate/peanut butter protein bars are tasty, relatively low calorie, and pack a high protein and fiber punch.

You'll see changes as you heal and recover - embrace them!

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics