Food issues....

micrene
on 9/14/15 9:18 pm - Melbourne, FL

Ok... so I am finding the farther out from surgery I am, the less and less I like meats and dense proteins.  They feel like they just sit at the top of my sleeve for hours, even though I chew small bites really well.  It always taste good as I have always loved meat....but now, it's like my body is rebelling.  I find that I mostly enjoy salads, vegetables, fruit, soups, and fish. I cannot tolerate much dairy except for cheese is ok.  No sugars and I have cut way back on any type of crackers.  I am losing just fine, but I know I am not going to get enough protein if I don't eat meat.  I enjoy eggs scrambled, poached, or egg salad, but not hard boiled by themselves.

What suggestions besides protein shakes that I cannot stand, does anyone have?  

Grim_Traveller
on 9/14/15 9:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The point of dense protein is, it's supposed to leave you feeling full for a long time, so you won't eat as much in the course of the day. So, it sounds like it's working for you. Fruit, soups, and even cheese won't give you the same full sensation.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jamrodriguez
on 9/14/15 11:33 pm

If you are tolerating fish well, then roll with that for now. Maybe when you get closer to eventual capacity tougher meats with be easier. Also maybe try canned chicken. I like to make chicken salad with Greek yogurt and some cut up, skinned apples and a squirted of lemon juice. Also maybe shrimp, and of course tuna. You could also try vegan protein sources like tofu, tempeh, or seiten.

Sandra F.
on 9/15/15 5:46 am

I'm sure you have probably tried this but I find that I can not eat as much dense protein as other things, so maybe cut back on the portion a bit?

cappy11448
on 9/15/15 7:04 am

I relied on chicken broth with protein powder to supplement my diet until I could eat enough dense protein to meet my requirements.  But it sounds like you should be able to meet much of your protein requirement with sea food and eggs. 

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

gram247
on 9/15/15 7:39 am

Ifind myself in the same situation as you described . I am  four years out and have a very difficult time eating dens protein. Chicken breasts and steak don't cut it any longer. I have  found that having one chicken thigh which is not is dry as the breast or steak is more easily digested. 

There   Are many things, such as chocolate, which I loved before surgery , That I cannot tolerate any longer. I think as you lose weight your body stops  craving what tolerating those things that put on weight. 

Good luck. 

micrene
on 9/15/15 8:58 am - Melbourne, FL

Thank you for  your response.  I knew it was not just me or all in my head...LOL.  I do not like feeling uncomfortable and the dense proteins make me uncomfortable for hours.  When I listen to my body, it just says no.  I have not tired tofu and maybe that would be an alternative.  I will do the protein shakes if I have not other options, but I wanted to see what others were doing.

Thanks!

Lemily
on 9/15/15 12:38 am
VSG on 01/16/14

The full feeling is what is supposed to be happening. Maybe try eating a little bit less of it at a time and do not eat until you are full, but satisfied. I would put one ounce on your plate, eat it slow. If you want more add another ounce. Do not eat the fruits/vegs until after you get the protein in. And at this point if you don't get those in, its not that big of a deal.

Try canned tuna, canned chicken. I find that dark meat chicken is better than white meat b/c its more moist. Maybe the dense protein is too dry as well, that can also be the problem. Also, throw some protein powder in your soups.

I believe there is also a forum for vegetarians that have VSG. you may want to check out that sight for more suggestions.

cconroy55
on 9/15/15 10:26 am

if you're worried about protein, try the non-shake protein items like the ones from Bari-wise.  I liked their mushroom soup at the beginning - wasn't that sweet flavor like the shakes.  

Scott S.
on 9/15/15 11:10 am - TX

I had that issue for a bit.  I ate more fish and protein shakes.  As a regular practice, 2 years out, I lowered down the red meat, and only eat chicken that is really moist (either stewed or a super healthy beer can chicken).

You may want to check with your NUT to see if you are lactose intolerant with the dairy.

Hang in there and great progress!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active
Recent Topics